Valued Contributor

Hairspray-Logo-AboutImage-1920x1080-KO.jpg

The telecast will air Wednesday, December 7 at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT.

http://www.nbc.com/hairspray-live

Full casting for the star-studded December 7 broadcast has now been revealed. 

Hairspray stars Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein, recreating his Tony-winning Broadway role as Edna Turnblad, as well as Kristin Chenoweth as Velma Von Tussle, Andrea Martin as Prudy Pingleton, Ariana Grande as Penny Pingleton, Ephraim Sykes as Seaweed J. Stubbs, Shahadi Wright Joseph as Little Inez, Sean Hayes as Mr. Pinky, Rosie O’Donnell as the gym teacher, Paul Vogt as Mr. Spritzer, Derek Hough as Corny Collins, Garrett Clayton as Link Larkin, Martin Short as Wilbur Turnblad, Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson as Motormouth Maybelle and newcomer Maddie Baillio as Tracy Turnblad.

The Dynamites will be played by Kamilah Marshall, Judine Somerville and Shayna Steele, who originated the roles in the Broadway production. Their singing voices are also heard in the film musical adaptation.

http://www.playbill.com/article/billy-eichner-added-to-hairspray-live-full-cast-revealed

Esteemed Contributor

I love musicals!

going to see Mamma Mia 10/28 live

Valued Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I love musicals!

going to see Mamma Mia 10/28 live

@Mary Bailey

What a wonderful, fun show!  

Honored Contributor

I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. I'm a big fan of the original John Waters film and the Broadway musical.

I'm most excited about Harvey Fierstein and Kristin Chenoweth. I was surprised by some of the names, too. I think Jennifer Hudson is both super talented and enjoyable, but I feel like she's too young for Motormouth Maybelle. I guess Motormouth is Benjamin Buttons - she was 60 (Ruth Brown) in the original movie, 37 in the movie musical (Queen Latifah) and will be 35 (Hudson) in the Live version. Corny Collins is also aging backwards. He was 37 in the movie, 35 in the movie musical, and 31 in the Live version.

Poor Edna Turnblad is aging more like the rest of us. She was 43 in the original movie (Divine), 53 in the movie musical (Travolta), and 62 in the Live version (fFerstein).

Valued Contributor

Re: Hairspray LIVE!

[ Edited ]

ChynnaBlue wrote:

I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. I'm a big fan of the original John Waters film and the Broadway musical.

I'm most excited about Harvey Fierstein and Kristin Chenoweth. I was surprised by some of the names, too. I think Jennifer Hudson is both super talented and enjoyable, but I feel like she's too young for Motormouth Maybelle. I guess Motormouth is Benjamin Buttons - she was 60 (Ruth Brown) in the original movie, 37 in the movie musical (Queen Latifah) and will be 35 (Hudson) in the Live version. Corny Collins is also aging backwards. He was 37 in the movie, 35 in the movie musical, and 31 in the Live version.

Poor Edna Turnblad is aging more like the rest of us. She was 43 in the original movie (Divine), 53 in the movie musical (Travolta), and 62 in the Live version (fFerstein).

@ChynnaBlue

I LOVE the original movie (Ricki Lake, Divine, et al.) and watch it on TV whenever I can.  I always enjoy that dance routine, The Madison.

I saw Hairspray on Broadway.  I remember Jackie Hoffman (as Prudy Pingleton/gym teacher/prison matron) being an absolute hoot.

Kristen Chenowith portraying Velma should be good.  I had the good fortune to see Kristen and Idina Menzel in the Broadway production of Wicked.  That was another amazing show.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Can't wait.  Two of my friends are in the cast, and they were going crazy on Facebook today.  The full cast was just announced, and they were waiting until it went to press before announcing it to all of us.  This is a hilarious, fun show, and the cast is fantastic!

Respected Contributor

I'm excited to see this. Ariana Grande...meh...but she will probably be cute in the show.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Out of everyone, I am least excited about Jennifer Hudson.  I agree that she IS talented, but I think she overdoes it and gets screechy.  I hate when she gets screechy.  I may have also read some unflattering things about JHud's stint on Broadway's "The Color Purple" - think the Tony Winner from that show or the woman who took JHud's place may have been better choices.  My dream would have been if Queen Latifah would have reprised her role from the movie.  Oh well.  

@Dusty1 wrote:

I'm excited to see this. Ariana Grande...meh...but she will probably be cute in the show.

Based on her stint on SNL, I actually think Ariana Grande will do an awesome job!  It's a smallish role, I think.

Valued Contributor