Honored Contributor

Re: Dateline October 4, Susan Powell Case

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

I don't remember hearing abt this case. It's difficult to  watch shows that provide such bizarre behavior by people, however it makes you more conscious that there are some really evil people in this world and one needs not to be so naive .  It was so so wrong that these 2 children of Susan Cox Powell had to die , esp  what their father did to them with that hatchet  before they died .

From Wikipedia

" The Cox family also sued Washington's Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), claiming that the agency prioritized Joshua's parental rights over the safety of the boys and facilitated their deaths. While a lower court initially ruled against the Coxes, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit reversed this ruling and allowed the case to proceed to trial in January 2019. Susan's family also pressured state lawmakers in Washington and Utah to pass a bill that would restrict or block visitation rights for parents being investigated for murder. "

@skatting44   I have always blamed the Judge and the social services woman.  she should have realized by the way he was acting when she brought the boys, that something was wrong, and should have taken the boys and made a fast exit, the heck with what she was told to do, leave them.

Why does it always take death of innocents to get a law passed that should have been on the books from the get-go.

Hi, ThinkingCamile. I just listened to the recording of the 911 call by the Social Services lady. She didn’t have enough time to grab the boys back. When Powell opened the door, he pulled the kids insipid and then slammed the door in her face. She smelled gasoline and was trying to call 911 to come immediately, telling the 911 operator that it was an extreme emergency. The 911 operator reacted by telling the Social Services lady that police were responding to more important matters first...in so many word. I can’t remember 911 operators exact wording, but this lady was being awful to the desperate pleas from the social services lady. The lady could hear screams from inside the home. Powell was busy cutting into the boys with an axe. Then the house exploded into flames.  You can hear the whole thing on a YouTube. YouTube has many of the shows about the case. There are some good episodes from HLN with Nancy Grace.  The original Dateline from years ago is there. There’s film it’s the actual writings of Powell senor singing love songs he wrote to his DIL. Sick. This man would buy pantyhose in the brand and size his DIL wore. He’d sneak into her laundry, steal her pantyhose and substitute the new pantyhose for her used ones.  

@Mindy D   @SeaMaiden   You are both responding to my post but @ing ThinkingCamile, I believe. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I would have left the boys in the car and then spoken to him to get a feel of his mood.  I just think no common sense was used where the boys were concerned.  He went after them with a hatchet or some such object, so they felt terror knowing what was happening, this gives me goose bumps as I type.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

I don't remember hearing abt this case. It's difficult to  watch shows that provide such bizarre behavior by people, however it makes you more conscious that there are some really evil people in this world and one needs not to be so naive .  It was so so wrong that these 2 children of Susan Cox Powell had to die , esp  what their father did to them with that hatchet  before they died .

From Wikipedia

" The Cox family also sued Washington's Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), claiming that the agency prioritized Joshua's parental rights over the safety of the boys and facilitated their deaths. While a lower court initially ruled against the Coxes, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit reversed this ruling and allowed the case to proceed to trial in January 2019. Susan's family also pressured state lawmakers in Washington and Utah to pass a bill that would restrict or block visitation rights for parents being investigated for murder. "

@skatting44   I have always blamed the Judge and the social services woman.  she should have realized by the way he was acting when she brought the boys, that something was wrong, and should have taken the boys and made a fast exit, the heck with what she was told to do, leave them.

Why does it always take death of innocents to get a law passed that should have been on the books from the get-go.

Hi, ThinkingCamile. I just listened to the recording of the 911 call by the Social Services lady. She didn’t have enough time to grab the boys back. When Powell opened the door, he pulled the kids insipid and then slammed the door in her face. She smelled gasoline and was trying to call 911 to come immediately, telling the 911 operator that it was an extreme emergency. The 911 operator reacted by telling the Social Services lady that police were responding to more important matters first...in so many word. I can’t remember 911 operators exact wording, but this lady was being awful to the desperate pleas from the social services lady. The lady could hear screams from inside the home. Powell was busy cutting into the boys with an axe. Then the house exploded into flames.  You can hear the whole thing on a YouTube. YouTube has many of the shows about the case. There are some good episodes from HLN with Nancy Grace.  The original Dateline from years ago is there. There’s film it’s the actual writings of Powell senor singing love songs he wrote to his DIL. Sick. This man would buy pantyhose in the brand and size his DIL wore. He’d sneak into her laundry, steal her pantyhose and substitute the new pantyhose for her used ones.  

@Mindy D   @SeaMaiden   You are both responding to my post but @ing ThinkingCamile, I believe. Smiley Happy

Sorry, I was trying to respond to ThinkingCamille.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mindy D   I would have left the boys in the car and then spoken to him to get a feel of his mood.  I just think no common sense was used where the boys were concerned.  He went after them with a hatchet or some such object, so they felt terror knowing what was happening, this gives me goose bumps as I type.

Nancy Grace asked her guest lawyers about what the social services lady could have done. They said she was obligated to follow the judge’s order. Some guest on the show said that at that time Utah was striving toward family unification as a goal. She didn’t know what was going to happen in advance. Maybe she could have let the boys remain in the car until she previewed the conditions there. Then she could have called her supervisor BEFORE the kids got close enough to the doorway. She was dialing her supervisor as soon as she could. I am always amazed when husbands accused of murdering their wives are given custody and unsupervised visitations with their kids. Same thing happened with OJ Simpson. He was given custody of the kids. Nicole’s parents were fighting the court to stop this from happening. Then they had to fight for visitation rights. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the videos about this case that I watched on YouTube :

Susan Powell: Nancy 2/6/12

Sierra1947

Powell boys suffered “chop” injuriesbefire blaze

CBS 

Susan Powell: The Missing Pieces

Investigation Discovery

Crime Watch Daily:

Josh Powell’s Sister Breaks Silence-Pt. 1

True Crime Daily

Crime Watch Daily

Josh Powell’s Sister Breaks Silence- Pt. 

Trye Crime Daily    

Dateline 20/20 Sins of the Father

joel alphonso

Diaries: Steven Powell lusted after daughter- in-law

HLN 

Susan Powell’s in-law’s ‘creepy’ diary

HLN

The Murder of Susan Cox Powell. 2/2. There’s two of these, part 1 and part 2

John Aylward

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

From Wikipedia

Sorry, I was trying to respond to ThinkingCamille.

@Mindy D   By the content of your post, it seemed you were respopnding to my post beneath hers, that's all.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back when this happened I sobbed over the tragedy of Susan and her boys. I felt sorrow for Susan's parents. The horror of those precious boys being led to a gruesome end by their bio dad (I refused to call him a father), so innocent and trusting.

Susan's dad really kept after investigators when Susan went "missing", and was days short of being awarded custody. Even in his grief and pain he was so gracious and appreciative of public support while Susan was "missing". Bio dad murdered the boys when he knew he was losing custody over the discovery of his perverted, creepy dad's "diary". Creepy does not even begin to describe both father and son. This was a long time coming. Either Susan was fearful of leaving hubby or just couldn't bring herself to do it, but deep down she knew it wouldn't end pretty.

dee