Honored Contributor

Re: DEAN MARTIN'S FAMILY

[ Edited ]

Anyone remember the "I Love Lucy" where she was in a fashion show in Hollywood (Don Loper) was the designer,and many of wives of these stars also modeled. I think Jeanne Martin was one of them. It was season 4, episode 19. She was in it and it was 1955.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Brings back alot of memories, he has a beautiful family, I used to think Dean's 2nd wife Jeanne was so beautiful and do remember the tragic plane crash during military training of his son, Dino.  I also remember his pop group, Dino, Desi and Billy as well.  Dino Jr was previously married to Olivia Hussey and Dorothy Hamill.

Honored Contributor

I love the way he sings.  Saw him once in Vegas and was disappointed but he was past his prime at that time.  Didn't know he had 3 wives and so many kids.  RIP.

Honored Contributor

I always adored him and loved when he did comedy's.  

@Oznell thanks for the picture and update I also did not know there were three marriages I thought only two.

(in the middle of your original post her name is still misspelled if you want to correct)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I remember his son was in the group, Dino, Desi & Billy...

Dean Paul Martin, Desi Arnaz Jr. & Billy Hinsche.

Trusted Contributor

Nice photo. Never knew he had a son that is now 81 years old. Loved Dean Martin's singing.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in High School in San Francisco, we cut school one day and went to the Golden Gate Theatre to see, I think, the movie Quo Vatis, and in those days, you got a live opening act before the movie came on.  

The opening act was live in person, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. They were becoming very popular.

They were not only funny, but could they dance.  We never got to see the movie, because when their act was finished, we went to the back alley and they opened the window and threw  down signed autograph pictures.

That was a great day, regardless of the trouble we got in for cutting classes.

I'm 88 now, but those were the best times in San Francisco and to be a teenager.

I also got to see Dean Martin in 1958 in Las Vegas where I got married at the Little White church and had an Elvis impersonator.

I remember when Elvis first was on the Ed Sullivan Show and my thoughts were, he Will never make it. BOY, WAS I Wrong.

I was from SF and didn't like cowboy music. We didn't listen to that kind of music.  More ballads and love songs.  Johnny Mathis was still in the rival school from ours, he hadn't made it yet.

Ah, the good old days.

Still play Dean's music. Love him.  Didn't care for Sinatra.  That was my Mojther's era. I have some of her 45' records.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac,  I was also struck by the fact that he had sole custody of the older children--  as you say, unusual for that time, where, all things being equal, the mother would have been more likely favored.  And the article said that Dean's second wife, Jeanne, raised them.   But they didn't explain any circumstances around the first wife.

@qvcaddition ,  whoa, those are great stories-- what a fun time in your life, just super that you shared those memories with us!

Posters generally have such fond feelings about Dean, so nice to read.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a documentary on Dean Martin a year or two ago.  If I remember correctly his first wife had a very severe drinking problem.  That's why he had full custody.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always liked Dean Martin. There hasn't been a time when I've heard him sing that I don't evision him smiling. 

I heard the same thing about his grief over the loss of Dean Paul--that he couldn't get over it. 

What worries you masters you.