Honored Contributor

Re: DAVID JANSSEN FEST THURSDAY TCM!

@Oznell. I watched most of Ring of Fire
before I had to leave. As soon as the rather memorable graphic came on with a ring of fire, I knew I'd seen it before but didn't remember a thing about it. From the 2/3 of it I saw it was OK;
Warning Shot was much better. I thought the 1950s-type talk was annoying (cool cat, daddy-o, etc). I think the movie was made before June Carter wrote Ring of Fire about her attraction to married Johnny Cash.
Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, @Pearlee ,  I put it on ("Ring of Fire" about half an hour ago.  Similar reaction to yours.   Corny dialogue, but isn't it interesting--  a lot of the elements that make DJ appealing to us later, are there, in 1961... 

Fleeting impressions--  He's thin and fit as usual-- maybe even thinner than he was later?  He's got that sardonic delivery with the "overage" juvenile delinquents.  Face very expressive....   Frank Gorshin does not strike me as a teenager, as he's referred to in the script!

DJ's a cutie, but can't stick with this movie!   Hoping the detective one's better.... 

Honored Contributor

I liked him in Where it's At from 1969, he plays a ruthless mogul in Vegas. also starred Rosemary Forsyth, one of his former paramours. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I thought he looked quite a bit thinner too in the film! I much prefer his TF physique. I agree, there was a similarity to his upright character and delivery that made him appealing as Kimble. If you missed the beginning of it, there was a lit more corny 1950s dialogue in the first 20 min or so than in the rest of what I saw.

Honored Contributor

That's interesting, @Shelbelle --  I'd love to see him as a ruthless mogul!  Such a departure from the "sensitive" roles I picture him in.  But I bet he could handle "ruthless" quite well...

Yes, @Pearlee ,  that beginning was a bit of a turn-off.  With the hostage situation he was in, I kept being reminded of "See Hollywood and Die",  the Fuge episode Brenda Vaccaro was in.  I probably should have stuck around for the end!  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. He is a bad guy in a Naked City.
I think he may have been in two. The one I mean also has Constance Ford in it. See if you can find it on YouTube. I think you'll like it. ❤
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Pearlee ,  I will!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I found it in YouTube and watched it again. I can't post links from my Smartphone but search on YouTube Naked City Wednesday Night Story. It's from 1958. DJ is very handsome.

@Tique @ twinsister @drizzellla See discussion above. You should watch this too.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@Oznell. I found it in YouTube and watched it again. I can't post links from my Smartphone but search on YouTube Naked City Wednesday Night Story. It's from 1958. DJ is very handsome.

@Tique@ twinsister @drizzellla See discussion above. You should watch this too.

@Pearlee  okay.

@twinsister  looks like your notification didn't go through.

Here's the link:

Naked City Wed Night Story 

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

@Tique. Odd that video starts in the middle but mine ast night started at the beginning of the show.