Respected Contributor

Comcast/Xfiniity and Cinemax

[ Edited ]

Anyone have it?

About a month ago they sent out a letter saying they were dropping Cinemax due to ATT owning it now and they (Comcast) could no longer carry it.  They're adding another movie channel called Hitz.  (Seems to be all older movies.)   I was looking at the channel guide and they do in fact still have one Cinemax channel.  But you have to pay an additional $12 a month for it!  Whatever.  But it just gets me that they lied about it.  I have an expensive package that included all the movie channels including Cinemax.  I don't see them reducing the price since I no longer have it.  I'm beginning to see why people "cut the cord."

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast/Xfiniity and Cinemax

I called two weeks ago to see what they could do to help me lower my monthly bill and they offered me another package minus HBO, WGN, WE, ID Channels.  They never mentioned anything about Cinemax but I have noticed that it is not on my guide any longer.  I agree with you, we don't have access to these channels but the price never changes.  Wish I had the courage to cut the cord!!!

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe We have the same issue and it sounds like the same package.I am considering dropping my cable but we have another year on our contract.I wonder if they voided the contract themselves with these changes?

Regular Contributor

The rep I spoke with said they are working to reinstate these channels.  Not sure if this is true or not.  Maybe she was just trying to appease me!

Respected Contributor

@dex   I'd bet they've written their contract so they can make these kinds of changes without breaking it......small print, you know.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I like HBO and Showtime - wouldn't want to drop those.  But we have a lot of other channels we could probably drop.  I have to check what other movie channels I even have now.   Hubby has a sports package - have to have that lol.

Thanks everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been wanting to call them for a while now, as they are really playing with their customers....I cringe every month when I pay our cable bill and we just have a package deal that started out pretty good but, over time, there have been not so subtle changes and I guess they think that us customers won't notice.

I'm just tired of paying for so many channels that we don't even watch and are filled with junk...The movie channels at one time were just that, but many have now filled up time with reruns of TV series, etc., etc., etc...Many times, when I check into a movie that I want to watch, I have to rent it which just adds to our bill!...What a racket they have!

Also, a month ago,  they increased our package price by $30.00, so I will be calling them today and having a good talk with them and expect them to work out a better package deal for us...They are very cunning in how they set up their packages and I'm just tired of it all and being taken adantage of.

I've told my husband to get ready because we may just end up with the very basic channels whatever they may be! 

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

The cable bill is never the same. I can never find anything to watch either. My DH will not give up the cord. 

Honored Contributor

i just tried on our xfinity. cinemax is no longer available. i get an error message that says

"sorry, there seems to be a problem here. if youve made changes to your account recently, the updates may still be in process. if you havent made any changes, please try watching another channel or try again alter. XRE-03121."

i dont think i used cinemax that much.

i did check and we do get HITZ channel. it seems to be more of an on demand type service with older movies. currently there are 289 movies available.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Cinemax is owned by the same company as HBO so if you get HBO you get all the duplicate Cinemas channels.  Frankly I never watch movies on HBO. The only reason I had it was to watch "The Divorce" and that just got cancelled. I could care less for Game of Thrones that most people are buzzing about.