Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone going to see The Beguiled!??

I finished the book version, which I very much enjoyed.  The story is told through each of the female characters.

Not sure whether I'll see the movie.  After reading a book, I am often disappointed by the film version.

Respected Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

I finished the book version, which I very much enjoyed.  The story is told through each of the female characters.

Not sure whether I'll see the movie.  After reading a book, I am often disappointed by the film version.

I agree, I've always been disappointed by the movie when I've read the book.  

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I like Nicole Kidman but I'll wait till it's on netflix or amazon.  They said it's a very good movie.

@lovescats  I have no idea whom you mean with "they" in "they said."  

I think the "they" are the critics, all the reviews I've read have been good but I haven't talked to anyone who has actually seen it yet.  I'm going with my girlfriends on the 12th.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I like Nicole Kidman but I'll wait till it's on netflix or amazon.  They said it's a very good movie.

@lovescats  I have no idea whom you mean with "they" in "they said."  

@Pearlee   I haven't seen any bad review of the movie so they would be all the people I've seen talk about it on tv but Nicole Kidman is the star so why wouldn't it be good?

from the New York Times

I have called the film a fairy tale but you could also describe it as a horror movie, a quasi-western and a revenge melodrama, perhaps too many things at once. Most effectively, though — and largely thanks to Ms. Kidman’s regal, witty performance — it’s a comedy, a country-house farce about the problems caused by an inconvenient guest.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-beguiled-2017

Honored Contributor

Watched this movie on Showtime last night, I missed the beginning, but my biggest complaint was that the movie was so, so dark, you could barely see the characters even in the daytime!

Honored Contributor

I DVR'd and just watched it. The original with Clint Eastwood was better.

Honored Contributor

@Hootywrote:

Watched this movie on Showtime last night, I missed the beginning, but my biggest complaint was that the movie was so, so dark, you could barely see the characters even in the daytime!

@Hooty  I'm glad you posted. I thought it was just my TV making it so dark!  I couldn't even make out which girl or woman the Colonel had been with which resulted in Kidman doing what she did to him and Dunst getting so angry with him.

I am so glad I didn't spend any money at the movie theater on this (watched it on HBO last night).  It was only OK at best.  I didn't care for it much and am glad it was only about an hour and a half long and no longer.  It wasn't very good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee@Jordan2, I too am glad I did not pay to see this movie in the theatre!  I had no idea he got pushed down the stairs till he said so, I could tell something was going on with all the noise!  I would like to see Clint Eastwood's version of this, I am sure it has to be much better!

Frequent Contributor

I’m another who is glad not to have paid to see this in a theater. Given all the good actors in this movie, I thought it would be better. I found it very slow, with no character development. We don’t really know the motivation behind any of the characters’ actions. I’ll have to watch the Clint Eastwood version to see if that’s any better. 

Honored Contributor

I never did see this movie, so will have to watch for it On Demand!