Respected Contributor
Highly recommend if you like mysteries along with bit of character development and some romance. Takes place in early 1900’s. I would gave never given it a chance if not for DD recommendations. I am an NCIS lover and am now enjoying this too.
Honored Contributor

DH loves this. My fav character is Crabtree.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I love this show! It's real title is The Murdoch Mysteries and the Ovation channel airs it as The Artful Detective - no idea why. I have a local station that airs it after midnight under The Murdoch Mysteries and you can find it on Hulu and Acorn TV as The Murdoch Mysteries. Netflix used to have it, but it looks like they pulled it last October.

It's a fun show and I love the way they play with Murdoch meeting real historical figures, like Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jack London, Emma Goldman, Harry Houdini, Nikola Tesla, President Roosevelt, the Canadian suffragettes, and many more. They use so many historical people and events that I've turned to Wikipedia quite a few times to learn more about the people and events mentioned.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

DH loves this. My fav character is Crabtree.

Crabtree is such a dear. I just want to hug him and listen to one of his crazy ideas.

Honored Contributor

Love this program. I purchased all the seasons/DVDs so far; think there are ten.

Although I don't miss seeing any of the episodes, I do prefer the earlier ones because they seemed to be more history-based. For instance, a show may be at the time of the big Toronto fire that actually happened. Or it could be when fingerprints were first being used as a means to catch a killer. 

Great programming and I love watching the manners and other habits of people from years ago. Things/people were a lot more genteel. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: The Artful Detective

[ Edited ]

@World Travelerwrote:

Love this program. I purchased all the seasons/DVDs so far; think there are ten.

Although I don't miss seeing any of the episodes, I do prefer the earlier ones because they seemed to be more history-based. For instance, a show may be at the time of the big Toronto fire that actually happened. Or it could be when fingerprints were first being used as a means to catch a killer. 

Great programming and I love watching the manners and other habits of people from years ago. Things/people were a lot more genteel. Smiley Happy

Were they, though? Or do we just see history throuh the fog of the past. Working conditions were much worse and children were often working in harsh environments, not just adults. If you got raped, you didn't report it because it was always your fault. If your husband beat you, you didn't report it because it was always your fault. You certainly didn't divorce him if he did. A woman couldn't have a bank account in her own name, so what would you do if you did try to divorce an abusive husband? If children were beaten at home, they couldn't just tell a teacher and expect someone to step in and help them - they were getting hit at schools, too. Discrimination was legal and many immigrants from all over the world were discrimated against. Birth control didn't exist and it was very common for women and babies to die during or right after childbirth. Child brides were also much more common. Antibiotics and vaccines didn't exist, so you could be cripled or killed by polio or die from an infected papercut. These days we say it's so sad when a parent outlives a child, but it used to be much more common for mothers to see the death of a child due to diseases that we no longer worry about. I'm guessing most of us don't know anyone who died of consumption/tuberculous, but that wasn't the case back then.

They sure do look nice in pictures, though!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland I'm referring to the TV program that is the topic of this thread. In that program the men are generally wearing hats, coats, and ties. They tip their hat to a woman they pass on the street. They are showing respect to others. The women are dressed modestly. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree with Alison....my wonderful late father commented to me one day that the good old days (1900-1930) were far better than the present and did I agree. I looked at him and reminded him that my daughter, -- his grandaugther --  was a 9lb,13oz baby that was tailor breach and that without modern surgery, anesthetic and antibiotics we'd probably both have died. He agreed to consider my opinion.....LOL!

Edited to say that I love the Murdoch Mysteries!

Candy

Trusted Contributor

@World Travelerwrote:

@Alison Wonderland I'm referring to the TV program that is the topic of this thread. In that program the men are generally wearing hats, coats, and ties. They tip their hat to a woman they pass on the street. They are showing respect to others. The women are dressed modestly. 

I love all of that!  I was born in the wrong era.  That's why I love historical and inspirational romance novels!  I must check out this TV series.