Honored Contributor

Alzheimer's on 60 Minutes -- did anybody see this?

[ Edited ]

"Nobel-prize-winning Colombian novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez once wrote of a mythical town in the middle of the jungle whose residents suffer from a mysterious affliction that erases their memories. Today, in a region of Colombia called Antioquia, reality appears to be imitating fiction -- in a way that may answer questions for all of us."

This story was told last Sunday on 60 minutes, a few days before I heard of the horrific crash of the plane carrying their soccer team.

What an AMAZING and auspicious discovery to find families in this area of the world. If the discovered gene is present in a family member, there will be a 100% chance that the person WILL develop Alzheimer's early in their 40's!

A study is being conducted to determine if a drug that works to dissolve plaques in the brain will prevent or cure Alzheimer's! 

There has has never been a set of circumstances like this before.

Here is a link to this story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-alzheimers-disease-medellin-colombia-lesley-stahl/

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's on 60 Minutes -- did anybody see this?

Yes I saw this and basically it was found to be genetic in one family that had the same affliction for many many years (physicians used to call it "soft brain").  It is really sad that those family members have a 50/50 chance of getting this rare Alzheimers disease that affects people as young as 30.  I hope the studies they are currently doing will bring an end to this awful disease.  For some reason I really though Alzheimers as environmental, not genetic.  I feel for those family members because doctors will not reveal to them in the study whether they carry the gene.  They just have to have faith that the doctors will find a cure through their participation in the study. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I did watch that last Sunday.  How awful for those family members.  It's great they're doing this study on them, but unfortunately, it will be many years before they have any results (it's a double-blind study starting on family members who don't yet show any signs of the disease).  At almost 68, it'll be too late for me if I get it!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a very dear friend in another state who passed away with Altheimer's in her mid 50's.  Since then, two of her three sons have developed the disease and passed away from it. (very recent)   There is no question in my mind that it does tend to be genetic.  The remaining son is still doing well, but clearly very frightened about his own future, and concern about his children. There is no evidence of Altheimer's in the family of her husband (the boys' father).

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

"Nobel-prize-winning Colombian novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez once wrote of a mythical town in the middle of the jungle whose residents suffer from a mysterious affliction that erases their memories. Today, in a region of Colombia called Antioquia, reality appears to be imitating fiction -- in a way that may answer questions for all of us."

This story was told last Sunday on 60 minutes, a few days before I heard of the horrific crash of the plane carrying their soccer team.

What an AMAZING and auspicious discovery to find families in this area of the world. If the discovered gene is present in a family member, there will be a 100% chance that the person WILL develop Alzheimer's early in their 40's!

A study is being conducted to determine if a drug that works to dissolve plaques in the brain will prevent or cure Alzheimer's! 

There has has never been a set of circumstances like this before.

Here is a link to this story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-alzheimers-disease-medellin-colombia-lesley-stahl/

@LTT1

Thank you for writing about this story. I will search on demand and see if I can find this episode. 

Honored Contributor

I did watch.  We'd had several family members who slipped into dementia and in the families in which we know it was Alzheimer's, yes, there is genetic fear.

I do hope the family and the doctors/researchers working with them have success.  I appreciate their sacrifices and wish good would come from this for all of us.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine passed away from it in her early sixties. No one in her family had it and she has a huge family. I do feel it's heriditary, but wonder about those that are the only ones in their family that get it. It's a very sad disease indeed.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4@millieshops@butterfly123@Perkup@2blonde

The thing that I am still not clear on is the fact that in ALL cases of Alzheimer's the plaques are present. In younger healthier brains, there are no plaques.

DH and I were talking about this, so, maybe what the researchers do not have is a medicine that definitively dissolves the plaque? Or maybe other factors add to the plaques.

That family being interviewed declined the genetic test which would tell  if they had the gene (and to instead participate in the study?)

Well, bless them because their participation might provide life-saving cures for mankind.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I watched.  I think it needs much more extensive research.  It is a very sad, dark disease. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

"What an AMAZING and auspicious discovery to find families in this area of the world."

Confused by your statement.  Antioquia is a thriving modern municipality which as of 2013 the population was 6.3 million.  Not some undiscovered place in the middle of the Amazon jungle thriving w/indigenous peoples.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif