Honored Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's on 60 Minutes -- did anybody see this?

"

Stahl interviews one Colombian family who lost their father to the disease, thereby giving each of his seven children a 50 percent chance of suffering the same fate. Now, the children and several hundred of their extended family members are helping scientists by participating in a drug trial run by the Banner Alzheimer’s Institute in Phoenix.

Because scientists can determine exactly who in the group will get the disease, the community in Medellin makes a perfect laboratory for drug trials. Scientists are working with them to test drugs that could someday, they hope, prevent Alzheimer’s before it begins.

The first step is for participants to be tested for the gene mutation — in a gene on chromosome 14 — but the results of the genetic test are secret.

“There’s no cure,” Stahl tells 60 Minutes Overtime’s Ann Silvio in the video above. “There’s nothing really that works to even slow the disease down—very, very little. So why tell someone they’re definitely going to get this disease, when there’s nothing that can be done for them? So it seemed humane not to tell them.”

Late-in-life Alzheimer’s, by far the most common form of the disease, is not caused by a gene mutation, so there is no test to show definitively if a person will develop it. But there is a test to determine if a person carries a certain form of a gene that indicates greater risk. After watching his mother die from the disease, Scott Stave, a retired physical therapist in Phoenix, opted to take the test.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-drug-trials-to-prevent-alzheimers-disease/

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

It was very compelling. Sad for this family to bear this burden while research is conducted. It made me very sad, I felt like crying. 

Valued Contributor

Will ck this story out......Just came across this today and it sounds promising using ultrasound. Hope my dad can hang in till it comes to usa.

NEW ALZHEIMER’S TREATMENT FULLY RESTORES MEMORY FUNCTION

Of the mice that received the treatment, 75 percent got their memory function back.

Australian researchers have come up with a non-invasive ultrasound technology that clears the brain of neurotoxic amyloid plaques – structures that are responsible for memory loss and a decline in cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients.

If a person has Alzheimer’s disease, it’s usually the result of a build-up of two types of lesions – amyloid plaques, and neurofibrillary tangles. Amyloid plaquessit between the neurons and end up as dense clusters of beta-amyloid molecules, a sticky type of protein that clumps together and forms plaques.

Neurofibrillary tangles are found inside the neurons of the brain, and they’re caused by defective tau proteins that clump up into a thick, insoluble mass. This causes tiny filaments called microtubules to get all twisted, which disrupts the transportation of essential materials such as nutrients and organelles along them, just like when you twist up the vacuum cleaner tube.

As we don’t have any kind of vaccine or preventative measure for Alzheimer’s – a disease that affects 343,000 people in Australia, and 50 million worldwide – it’s been a race to figure out how best to treat it, starting with how to clear the build-up of defective beta-amyloid and tau proteins from a patient’s brain. Now a team from the Queensland Brain Institute (QBI) at the University of Queensland have come up with a pretty promising solution for removing the former.

Publishing in Science Translational Medicine, the team describes the technique as using a particular type of ultrasound called a focused therapeutic ultrasound, which non-invasively beams sound waves into the brain tissue. By oscillating super-fast, these sound waves are able to gently open up the blood-brain barrier, which is a layer that protects the brain against bacteria, and stimulate the brain’s microglial cells to activate. Microglila cells are basically waste-removal cells, so they’re able to clear out the toxic beta-amyloid clumps that are responsible for the worst symptoms of Alzheimer’s.

The team reports fully restoring the memory function of 75 percent of the mice they tested it on, with zero damage to the surrounding brain tissue. They found that the treated mice displayed improved performance in three memory tasks – a maze, a test to get them to recognise new objects, and one to get them to remember the places they should avoid.

We’re extremely excited by this innovation of treating Alzheimer’s without using drug therapeutics,” one of the team, Jürgen Götz, said in a press release. “The word ‘breakthrough’ is often misused, but in this case I think this really does fundamentally change our understanding of how to treat this disease, and I foresee a great future for this approach.”

The team says they’re planning on starting trials with higher animal models, such as sheep, and hope to get their human trials underway in 2017.

http://newzmagazine.com/index.php/2016/10/30/new-alzheimers-treatment-fully-restores-memory-function...

Honored Contributor

@MidNight

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and scientific reply... I love scientific/medical discourse!

The 60 Minutes report also mentioned the hope that earlier intervention might prevent long term damage.  

If it does, I believe they are considering whether people should take the medicine preventatively.

Valued Contributor

My husband's grandfather, father, and and out of the ten of their children all but one died of of Alzheimer. My husband is scared to death. There are many cousins of those 10 brothers and sisters and they are all feel the same, waiting, watching and fearing it will hit them. His family should have be in some type of study.

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to tune in......

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

Turmeric is also being studied as a plaque preventative.

I was listening to a radio program where the guest mentioned that there is a much lower incidence of Alzheimers and dementia in countries where turmeric is consumed daily as a food ingredient. Turmeric could be anti-plaque or dissolve plaque. I take a supplement daily.

I saw the 60 minutes segment and it was quite interesting. . .and sad too. I could not believe the afflicted woman was only 58 years old; she looked about 20 years older.

I really hope that a cure is found for these diseases and also for ALS.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates  Just curious-did they say how many milligrams of turmeric might be beneficial?

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 - thanks for posting the link, I missed the episode so I just finished watching it.  Fascinating episode!

This is such a devastating disease that has touched everyone either personally or you know someone or family that has gone or is going through it.

Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1@Judaline@sandraskates@Nancy Drew@granny me

For anybody who may be interested in watching that episode of 60 Minutes, if you Google it, it comes right up.

I am surprised that a scan shows plaques?

Why not just run scans on anybody who requests?

(Maybe because even if you know they aren't sure how to treat?

I have been taking Tumeric and have less trouble with sinus headaches and bodily aches.