Respected Contributor

Re: Actress Anne Heche has 'long recovery ahead' after car crash

@Cakers3 

"@lgfan   We are discussing Anne Heche's struggles with mental illness, therefore the topic of mental illness is germaine to the thread.

Nobody is making excuses using mental illness.  The fact remains Anne Heche has serious problems and obviously those problems were the catalyst for her actions. 

Your remark to me about my superior knowledge is uncalled for.  Those who know me, know who I am and my qualifications.

If you want people to just bash Anne Heche without considering her mental illness, it once again shows you are severely lacking understanding.  It is a complex situation."

I don't know you or your qualifications.  You are the one who stated that I didn't know about stigma in mental illness so I should do research.  That is the reason that I asked you to enlighten us with your knowledge.  I know that mentail illness is germaine to this topic.  

Yes, Ann Heche is being bashed because of her irresponsible and reckless behavior.  Tell the woman that Heche almost killed how complex the situation is for her.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

I'm happy to see some sympathetic/empathy for Anne Heche. She's had problems for years. I can remember a news report that she was found sleeping in a stranger's house. That happened right after she and Ellen broke up.

There is no sympathy for a basketball player who was accused and sentenced by our enemy, Russia, so I'm glad to see some shown for Anne.

I too believe an addict is looking to escape the pain they feel and in some cases, death is the ultimate escape. I truly hope she can get the help she needs before its too late.

@JamandBread 

Well, that's fine is that's what she's determined to do, but why harm others in your quest?

The drunk always survives. And you can't stop a truly suicidal person (I know from experience), especially if all of the alsohol/drug/psych treatments didn't help.

Just go run their car into a tree or power pole at high speed, at least that doesn't destroy the live of any innocent people.

I think its sad that people could be in so much emotional pain they want to blot out the reality of their lives. 

If they take others with them, intentionally or unintentionally, they/ their estate should be held accountable. I don't think there is anyone here who disagrees.

I think there are many here who have seen the toll mental illness and addiction takes on a loved one and their family members, so there's empathy for the impact of the disease. 

Respected Contributor

thank you for your posts in this thread.  they can be helpful and enlightening.

however, the thread will be gone soon as many need to try to make others think the way they do.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

When you're an addict there's only one person in the world...yourself. Nothing else exists and the 'real world'  is just words to say. Personal experience has it's lessons.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@kitcat51 

Along with the house being a total loss, so are their prized possessions, photos, important records/documents and reminders of their happy memories there.

They're the only ones I feel bad for.

@KingstonsMom Me too.  To lose all your possessions because of someone else being irresponsible is heartbreaking.  Did she go off her meds?  Did she stop therapy?  Did she ignore warning signs that she was about to spiral?  Something changed if Anne was managing her mental illness and then this happens.  If I were the homeowner, I would be really P*ssed off.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

We can feel sympathy for all involved.  Sympathy for the Innocent homeowner. Thankful she was not injured. We can also have sympathy for Anne. I am certain she did not set out to harm anyone.

Anne will have to face the consequence of her actions. Both the physical pain, and the emotional pain she has caused herself and others. Including her children. 

She is responsible for the choices she has made, but keep in mind s***** abuse alters the brains structure, and chemistry during development. It can take years to see the consequences. Recovery from this trauma is long and painful. If ever. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember her dating Ellen DeGeneres for a while.  They seemed happy.

I do hope she comes through this terrible ordeal even stronger and better.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@kitcat51 

Along with the house being a total loss, so are their prized possessions, photos, important records/documents and reminders of their happy memories there.

They're the only ones I feel bad for.

@KingstonsMom Me too.  To lose all your possessions because of someone else being irresponsible is heartbreaking.  Did she go off her meds?  Did she stop therapy?  Did she ignore warning signs that she was about to spiral?  Something changed if Anne was managing her mental illness and then this happens.  If I were the homeowner, I would be really P*ssed off.

@Puppy Lips 

There was an open bottle of vodka by the gearshift in her car, photos online.

ETA: the bottle with the red cap by her gearshift was confirmed as being an open bottle of Vodka by LE:

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a High School friend who was severely burned in a house fire our Sophomore year.  His mother and younger brother died due to the fire, while he and two other brothers got out.  He went through years of painful recovery and surgeries.  He ended up becoming a plastic surgeon himself so he could help other burn survivors.  Those doctors do what they can, but you never look quite the same after it all.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lgfan wrote:
Sorry but I have no sympathy for her. She could have killed or permanently disabled someone with her reckless behavior. Criminal charges should be brought against her for her irresponsible behavior.

Drug addicts and Alcoholics are loose cannon's...they are irrational and much of the time self centered and selfish.  She could have tried to take her own life in another way not affecting others or endangering the lives of others.  I have had many addicts around me in my life. They are always needy and take take take. Yes, it is the disease that makes them this way....but it still does not make it right to drive a 3,381 pound  car 90 miles an hour in a neighborhood....and hit into  houses and destroy lives.  Thankfully she did not kill anyone. 

@SeaMaiden so it has been confirmed that Anne Heche tried to commit suicide?  I've read a couple of articles but didn't see anything like that.  If so, that's just so sad.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life