Trusted Contributor

Re: Actress Anne Heche has 'long recovery ahead' after car crash

I'm happy to see some sympathetic/empathy for Anne Heche. She's had problems for years. I can remember a news report that she was found sleeping in a stranger's house. That happened right after she and Ellen broke up.

There is no sympathy for a basketball player who was accused and sentenced by our enemy, Russia, so I'm glad to see some shown for Anne.

I too believe an addict is looking to escape the pain they feel and in some cases, death is the ultimate escape. I truly hope she can get the help she needs before its too late.

Honored Contributor

@THETOT wrote:

Glad this moron didn't kill anyone.

New news updates are saying that the car plowed through the house (not just hit it), landing 2 feet from the resident and her 2 dogs relaxing on the couch.

She was able to grab her dogs and escape out the back door while the car and house were engulfed in flames.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

"New news updates are saying that the car plowed through the house (not just hit it), landing 2 feet from the resident and her 2 dogs relaxing on the couch.

She was able to grab her dogs and escape out the back door while the car and house were engulfed in flames."

Ms. Heche caused this damage yet the people who don't have any sympathy for Ms. Heche are horrible people.

Honored Contributor

Re: Actress Anne Hechehas 'long recovery ahead' after car crash

She could have killed that woman. Hope appropriate charges are filed against her. She knew she had a serious problem and had plenty of money for treatment, yet chose to jeopardize the lives of others. 

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

"New news updates are saying that the car plowed through the house (not just hit it), landing 2 feet from the resident and her 2 dogs relaxing on the couch.

She was able to grab her dogs and escape out the back door while the car and house were engulfed in flames."

Ms. Heche caused this damage yet the people who don't have any sympathy for Ms. Heche are horrible people.

@lgfan 

I' m one of those "horrible people who has NO sympathy for the driver (raising my hand!)

She has been to psych rehab more than once (once she was convinced she was an alien, found wandering around in the desert) and drug/alcohol rehab several times as well.

How many innocents have to suffer from her actions? Does someone have to beat her in the head with a rock for her to 'get' it???

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

The woman knew what she was doing.  The first time she crashed people were trying to help her but she put her car in reverse and continued her Speed Racer driving.  Too bad she didn't crash into a brick wall in an empty parking lot.  At least she would not have put anyone else's life in danger.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@Cakers3 

"@lgfan   Many people do not suffer traumatic experiences and still commit criminal acts.  It goes both ways.

As far as the stigma of mental illness, you do not understand what that means.  If you took the time to research the history of mental illness you would understand what the stigma means.

Nobody is blaming the mental illnes; and nobody decides to be an alcoholic, drug addict, bi-polar, and a host of other conditions, either."

I know that some people do not suffer traumatic experiences and still commit criminal acts but we are talking specifically about Anne Heche who has a mental illness and has committed criminal acts.

Since you are such an expert on the stigma of mental illness why don't you enlighten us with your superior knowledge and explain it in great detail. 

Read all of lthe posts some people are blaming the mental illness and are making excuses for Ms. Heche.

@lgfan   We are discussing Anne Heche's struggles with mental illness, therefore the topic of mental illness is germaine to the thread.

Nobody is making excuses using mental illness.  The fact remains Anne Heche has serious problems and obviously those problems were the catalyst for her actions. 

Your remark to me about my superior knowledge is uncalled for.  Those who know me, know who I am and my qualifications.

If you want people to just bash Anne Heche without considering her mental illness, it once again shows you are severely lacking understanding.  It is a complex situation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Hopefully, she will never have a license to drive again.

She will not be able to menace the public or herself for a long long time. This may be the hitting rock bottom that many addicts experience before they take their sobriety seriously.

I wish her a complete recovery and some modicum of peace for her children, who I'm sure have been traumatized more than we know.

Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

I'm happy to see some sympathetic/empathy for Anne Heche. She's had problems for years. I can remember a news report that she was found sleeping in a stranger's house. That happened right after she and Ellen broke up.

There is no sympathy for a basketball player who was accused and sentenced by our enemy, Russia, so I'm glad to see some shown for Anne.

I too believe an addict is looking to escape the pain they feel and in some cases, death is the ultimate escape. I truly hope she can get the help she needs before its too late.

@JamandBread 

Well, that's fine is that's what she's determined to do, but why harm others in your quest?

The drunk always survives. And you can't stop a truly suicidal person (I know from experience), especially if all of the alsohol/drug/psych treatments didn't help.

Just go run their car into a tree or power pole at high speed, at least that doesn't destroy the live of any innocent people.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

@lgfan 

I' m one of those "horrible people who has NO sympathy for the driver (raising my hand!)

She has been to psych rehab more than once (once she was convinced she was an alien, found wandering around in the desert) and drug/alcohol rehab several times as well.

How many innocents have to suffer from her actions? Does someone have to beat her in the head with a rock for her to 'get' it???

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

@KingstonsMom   I do not think you are a horrible person at all.  Nobody is demanding sympathy but having some sympathy can certainly be conjoined with wanting consequences for Anne Heche.  I myself have stated so.

A person who believes she is an alien and had a second personality who talked to God-this goes beyond somebody drinking and driving.

Multiple stints in any rehab do not guarantee success.  Yes, the patient has to work the program, has to stay with medication (which can take several tries before finding one that is suitable), has to attend meetings, etc.

These are all fine-but if she is relapsing into a form of psychosis (believes there are two of her for example) then her situation goes beyond generic rehab.

There is much more to Anne Heche's mental illnesses; I don't know her and I do not know how she ever benefitted from any rehab.

The issue, to me, is that Anne Heche did not desire to be mentally ill; whatever her diagnoses and treatments were are unknown.

People think money makes rehab successful; that isn't always true.

Of course it was a miracle nobody else was hurt or killed and the home owner (tenant?) has certainly suffered and will have to rebuild her life from scratch. 

While Anne Heche's actions stem from mental illness, she will face whatever consequences handed out after a full investigation.  I hope whatever is handed down to her is fair and just.  I hope she will recover and I hope there will be a constructive plan for her mental state.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh