Super Contributor

please allow us to cancel up to the point order is being shipped.

[ Edited ]

The warehouse should only print off the number of orders they can ship. The rest should stay in the queue until they are ready to ship allowing customers to cancel them.  At least allow until midnight of the day ordered to cancel an item. QVC locks the order after about 10 minutes and you cannot change, cancel or anything else. It is ridiculuous since it takes them 10 plus days to ship. I could see if they shipped immediately and needed to get the order to the warehouse, but the orders are apparently just sitting there.   This creates a lot of returns that could be avoided.

Trusted Contributor

Re: please allow us to cancel up to the point order is being shipped.

some items come directly from the vendor, so they probably send them immediately.  They don't hold everything in their own warehouses.  

Contributor

We used to be able to cancel within 12 to 24 hours, that changed several months ago and I tried to cancel something about 12 hours later and called customer service. They said the policy changed because their warehouses changed and they are making every effort to ship things out very quickly. In other words, we might now have 15 minutes to cancel!

Many of my orders take 4 to 5 days to ship and I get them 10 to 12 days after I order!!! 

I agree that we should have until midnight on the day of purchase to change our minds.

Honored Contributor

No one really knows what's behind how businesses process their orders and things are not always as simple as you might think.  I'd be the last person to tell them what they "should" do.

Honored Contributor

i agree. That's the least they could do. 

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

some items come directly from the vendor, so they probably send them immediately.  They don't hold everything in their own warehouses.  

@Tori3569 Exactly! I asked Customer Service one time, and that is what they told me. They could not cancel the order because it was "in process," which for the particular item I was interested in meant the information had already been sent to the vendor. It was out of QVC's hands and they could not cancel it. They tried, but couldn't after spending a bit of time on it. I guess that is why we see "in process" so quickly after placing an order.....it has already been electronically sent to the vendor.

Frequent Contributor

I placed a order 3 days ago, it still showed “packaging”. Then, I noticed something had changed the ship to address to one that I no longer use. I’ve received Many orders and had no problem coming to my correct address without me doing anything With the ship to info. Don’t know what happened here. I called to see if CS could fix the ship to address since the order hadn’t begun processing and they said once the order is placed, they cannot change the address even if it is due to a system mistake.
Honored Contributor

It seems like that would slow the process down  even more if they would hold orders for a time to allow cancellations!   I see it as QVC being efficient in getting packages ready for pickup or orders to vendors.  Most of the other companies that some say have quicker delivery are smaller and have their own warehouses for everything they sell so no real comparison.

Honored Contributor

We don't need a new process to slow down shipping even more.  I've never been one to be in a huge hurry to receive something, I plan ahead for gifts and if I'm in a big yank I shop where I know it will ship quickly.  Now days that's about nowhere.  Every online source I deal with is having problems.  Patience !  If one is that quick to cancel it tells me one doesn't need the item in the first place

Esteemed Contributor

Starting a couple of years ago, QVC converted its supply chain so that the majority of its sales are now fulfilled by third-party vendors. However, the computer systems are not all integrated, so the only real option for guaranteeing inventory availability is to immediately place orders into the "in processing" mode so that the stock is reserved for your purchase. This means that in some cases, depending on the seller (and sometimes specific items), you will be able to make adjustments to your orders, but in most cases, you will not. Customer service representatives are telling the truth when they say they can't help you; their systems don't have any special capabilities for circumventing the supply chain setup, and it seems like the approach of escalating to managers only applies in very specific situations. (And there's probably nothing a manager can do, either.)

So in a nutshell, QVC actually can't let you cancel. They're not trying to torture you or take advantage of you—they've simply tied their own hands with their previous business decisions. And it doesn't seem likely that the approach will change anytime soon.