Contributor

I doubt a QVC Host job responsibilities includes shopping while presenting product on live TV.  This is happening too often, they either yell up to the producer to order the product for them or they take out their phones and order via App.  David says..."I'm just doing this to show you how easy it is to order on the App".  While all during the show he says I have to have this!  This occurs with clothing as well.  Very tacky.  

Valued Contributor

I noticed other hosts doing the same thing more frequently. Perhaps a sales-tactic that their bosses are pushing them to do?

Honored Contributor

So why would that bother you?  If you feel it "needs to stop" then that's on you if you continue to watch.  I don't see how that's anyone's concern.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Host Shopping???

[ Edited ]

I wonder if the hosts ordering while hosting are running into the same "in process" for weeks at a time problems as regular customers? And once shipped are their orders languishing somewhere out there somewhere for weeks at a time? Are their returns taking forever? Do their orders almost make it to their hometown then go on a 4 state tour before finally returning and reaching their doorstep? Does it takes ages for their returns to be credited back to their account? Or do they get special treatment? Hhmmm, I wonder about these things. 

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me.

In the past it was much, much worse.  One host in particular would stop her shows and panic shop.  She would talk back and forth with the producer to get her size & color, and always have to get confirmation that it was done.  She treated the producer like her personal shopper, and the actual shoppers at home just had to wait and put up with it (or turn the channel).  She was notorious for it, it was completely over-the-top annoying.  But in the past couple of years she has stopped, thank goodness.

So what has been happening lately with some hosts is nothing in comparison. Little sales tactics are one thing -- but stopping the shows for long personal ego shopping is entirely different.

Honored Contributor

A sales tactic, nothing to be upset or concerned about.  They have been doing it for years.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I don't normally complain about anythting the hosts do, but I noticed this as well.  I thought it was kind of wrong to be doing that while selling.  I know the hosts are customers too, but they should place their orders either before or after their shift (or at least during those quick clips between products).  It doesn't need to be announced  or done live on-air with a cell phone.  It also seems kind of weird when an item is close to selling out and a host gets it before a customer.  I don't know.  Just my opinion.

I'm sure it's a selling tactic that they have permission to use though.

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't really bother me, but I do think it's strange and kind of silly—they know what's going to be in their shows (unless it's one of the rare cases where they're called to fill in at the last minute), so they could have ordered the items in advance. There are one or two hosts who whine when things sell out and they didn't get them, and that seems more annoying to me because it's either a completely disingenuous act or, again, simply poor planning on their part.

Valued Contributor

my guess is that hosts do this when sales are low. There are lots of people who buy things just because certain hosts say that they bought the items just because they want to emulate the hosts. I don't believe the hosts are actually buying the items, it's done just to get more sales. But viewers fall for it all the time.  It was really bad when Lisa Robertson was a host. It seemed that she wanted everything, and sales would skyrocket. 

Trusted Contributor

I was wondering how long it would take someone to complain about this.  HOnestly it took much longer than I thought it would.  I thought it was out of character for that host,

What bothered me more when they would have their producers or whoever do it for them.  That one host is no longer on the Q. But the one rambling that they are going to be upset if it sells out, that TOTALLY bugs me.  If you wanted it that bad, you should have ordered it before you went on the air.  Your job is to sell NOT to shop.  

I hadn't thought of it as a sales tactic but it most certainly is, and honestly we don't really know of those orders are actually being placed or not or if they are just playing the part.