Super Contributor

Can QVC use models who are not surgically enhanced for their makeup shows?  Models are beautiful, but obvious surgical enhancements (lips, face lifts, etc) do not encourage me to purchase beauty products.  Before and afters are nice and appreciated; yet models with inccredibly long natural  lashes, enhanced plump lips, and tightened faces are obvious.  Maybe it only discourages me from buiying.....?  I guess I should not expect results unless I am gorgeous and perfect already.  

Esteemed Contributor

My take on this.... they are selling a dream... They will  never use larger models, older models, models who are not beautiful for anything.  

The average dress size is a 14 and their average customer is "older," I am told.  But they will feature someone we want to look like or think we look like or think we could look like.  

I know I will never be a size 6-8 again.  I know I will never be without some wrinkles,etc, but I can only hope there is some  magic potion out there that will change all that. OR NOT.  Actually I am pretty happy the way I am, active, healthy and able to enjoy life.  

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu@soozer.  I agree with you both.  QVC is of course not the only one who does this.    I think that truth in sales and advertising has redefined the meaning of truth.  Informercials "take" people from the audience to demo their hair tools, etc on the inference that they have never used them before and have never met.  Excuse me but they are the same people used on the Q and listed on modeling sites.   I started reading the forum articles because I was looking for opinions on various topics and products to compare with the product reviews.  I read all info and then if still interested I decide if I really want to order on line and risk returns.  The returns have gotten to frequent and expensive.  I have no problem with people altering their appearance if they wish but to me that limits the products they can promote with complete honesty.   Now I enjoy the many personalities on the forums and buy less.  I have the products I like and use to look the best that I can be and buy from the few designers I enjoy and trust.  I hope that the Q does not dumb them down any more than they have.  I realize they are in business to make money and "go for what the majority will bear".  I will continue to make choices that are best for my family and myself.  Thanks for the thoughts of everyone here.  Strangers can be grumpy and mean but they are a minority.  I enjoy those with kind hearts.

Honored Contributor

@soozer wrote:

Can QVC use models who are not surgically enhanced for their makeup shows?  Models are beautiful, but obvious surgical enhancements (lips, face lifts, etc) do not encourage me to purchase beauty products.  Before and afters are nice and appreciated; yet models with inccredibly long natural  lashes, enhanced plump lips, and tightened faces are obvious.  Maybe it only discourages me from buiying.....?  I guess I should not expect results unless I am gorgeous and perfect already.  

I am highlighting the key word here: Models. Models earn a living based on their looks. You are asking for QVC to find models who aren't enhanced or aren't already gorgeous.

QVC is not going to do that, even if they could.

Honored Contributor

@soozer wrote:

Can QVC use models who are not surgically enhanced for their makeup shows?  Models are beautiful, but obvious surgical enhancements (lips, face lifts, etc) do not encourage me to purchase beauty products.  Before and afters are nice and appreciated; yet models with incredibly long natural  lashes, enhanced plump lips, and tightened faces are obvious.  Maybe it only discourages me from buiying.....?  I guess I should not expect results unless I am gorgeous and perfect already.  

@soozer   What magazines and TV are selling is A DREAM.   Average people see what the want to be or want to be like.  They are always going to use attractive people and not average or unattractive people for this reason. Most people, even unattractive ones, do not want to see unattractive people....it is just innately part of our makeup, even babies in studies smile more when a pretty face smiles at them then when a unattractive dace smiles at them.  It is biological.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@soozer wrote:

Can QVC use models who are not surgically enhanced for their makeup shows?  Models are beautiful, but obvious surgical enhancements (lips, face lifts, etc) do not encourage me to purchase beauty products.  Before and afters are nice and appreciated; yet models with incredibly long natural  lashes, enhanced plump lips, and tightened faces are obvious.  Maybe it only discourages me from buiying.....?  I guess I should not expect results unless I am gorgeous and perfect already.  

@soozer   What magazines and TV are selling is A DREAM.   Average people see what the want to be or want to be like.  They are always going to use attractive people and not average or unattractive people for this reason. Most people, even unattractive ones, do not want to see unattractive people....it is just innately part of our makeup, even babies in studies smile more when a pretty face smiles at them then when a unattractive dace smiles at them.  It is biological.

Adrianne Arpel on HSN always uses older average models and starts making them up on nothing but a cleansed face.

Honored Contributor

This doesn't bother me at all.  I'm an adult and have a sense of my needs/skin/features/what will probably work and what won't.   When I look at fashions on models in magazines, I take air brushing into account in wondering how an item might look on me.

It's my duty as a consumer to be savvy and take products with a grain of salt.  If I think someone has been surgically enhanced, that will affect how effective I think the product may be.   I do not buy Dr. Danese's products for this reason - that's my choice.  

Valued Contributor

Except that AA is so surgically enhanced herself, it's just funny.

Respected Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@soozer wrote:

Adrianne Arpel on HSN always uses older average models and starts making them up on nothing but a cleansed face.

@HiLo - I appreciate that she uses older models, but when she's done applying her makeup it all looks like they're wearing (tinted) Crisco.😳

Super Contributor

I get this is a shopping channel and they are selling items.  

I know there are models in the business that are not injected/enhanced/implanted, etc.  

I simply thought it would be "refreshing" suggestion.  

I also disagree that it is acceptable to use enhanced models for makeup, esp. with injected lips, facelifts, etc.