Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC...give your staff Thanksgiving OFF please

One holiday down one to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shopperinme wrote:

Qvc......

You have a great staff that are very dedicated and wonderful people and hosts. Please think of them and their time with their families and give them 2 days off air all together, per year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My suggestion is to run prerecorded programming for the day. You may already be doing this on Christmas day, not sure. Anyway, nobody is going to wither away because QVC is off air for these important days. I've heard so many of them today say they will be there tomorrow, Thanksgiving day. Come on, give them the day with their families. I truly believe this is highly important, especially in these hard times of today's living.

I've had several jobs (medical, TV news, etc) where working on holidays was necessary,  It was part of the gig, and we all knew that going in.  

Not everyone works 9-5, five days a week.  Lots of jobs require longer/different hours.  Also, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or cares about it.  (The same with Christmas.  I don't celebrate Christmas, and I always volunteered to take the shifts of co-workers who wanted the whole day off rather than just part of it.)

I completely understand why QVC employees have to work on holidays.  Working in the television industry can be very lucrative, and there are trade-offs that employees are well aware of.  They make it work by celebrating earlier in the day, later in the day, the next day, or whatever works for them.  It's part of their job, and if it was such a huge problem for them, they would have worked elsewhere or in a different field.  As others have said, there are lots of professions where working on holidays is normal and expected.  For those of us who have done it, it's usually not a big deal at all.

Honored Contributor

It must have severely disappointed some posters, who desperately hoped that there would be another “attack” on the boards so that they could crow righteously about their campaign to shut down the boards on Thanksgiving and Xmas. Awww, darn.....

Life without Mexican food is no life at all