Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q needs to hire a voice coach!

I'm interested in "shopping the show." So, if a host is unwatchable, which many are, I'm not watching and I'm not buying! And I would like a host to do her job instead of telling me to go to QVC.com to find colors and details like inseam, waist. Talk about the product, not yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe QVC tries the "valley Girl" sounding hosts hoping the will appeal to the younger audience......

Super Contributor

I can't imagine how tough it is to be a shopping host, so hats off to those that do it.

I have to agree though regarding the voice coach suggestion.

I was up early enough this morning and was excited to be able to catch a D&C clearance show (in fact it just went off). The hostess is adorable, and you can tell she is trying her very best. However, by the end of the show I was fervently hoping there would be no more items with buttons lol. There is probably a name for when you don't pronounce the "t's" in the middle of the word, but I have no idea what it is. I just know that if she said button one more time I was in trouble.

I think for being new she is doing a great job, but I also think "button" and "cotton" are going to be words she will have to use a lot on air.

Happily I survived (actually mostly enjoyed the show) and found some things I wanted to try but wouldn't pay full price.

TGIF everyone! Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Occasional Contributor

I rarely post, but this one caught my eye.Um, ya, like, gonna, you guys, like ya.

Seriously?  This is the best the industry has to offer?

I'm sorry, none of these new hosts meet the mark IMO.

Spoiler
Diction, grammar, class - where have they gone?
New Contributor

I agree that it must be very difficult to be a host; however, once you complete the training program for any position, you should have been given all the available resources to be successful..   

If a host, presenter, facilitator is prepared, she/he will always be more confident with her/his material and presentation.  The host, Kathy P., for D&C and Marc Fisher this morning wasn't prepared or confident.   She very rarely provided the product item number for products which is pertinent and  important infomration for everyone, especially for anyone that may be visually impaired.  

I would like to take the opportunity to suggest that Kathy P. receive more training before she host another show, especially three hours.  

Contributor

Love it ! Thank you can't watch when Ms our store is own she talks so fast and sounds like a squeaky hot mess at her store  Ovc you need to retire some of your host you are losing customers fast 

Frequent Contributor

I agree with this 99%!!!

Kirsten still talks too fast lol

The most annoying thing is the high pitched cackling baby voices...definite channel changes for me.  I seriously don't understand how the PTB allow this. 

I know it's all about the $$$$ and I'm sure these hosts sell plenty, but what if a few tweaks were made and they toned it down a bit, maybe there would be even more $$$$.

But hey, what do I know.  I just change the channel and the $$ stays in my pocket.

Honored Contributor

It seems that no one considers voice or speech lessons to be necessary.  I've heard it referred to as old fashioned. LOL, yet we are subjected to Lazy speech, Glottal Shock (a voice problem due to poor breathing habits), mumbling, etc. etc. All of which CAN be corrected once identified and with practice.

There was a time when all Drama majors were required to take speech classes (Duh)... which does more than just prepare the student for life on a stage.  It also prepares them for business... how to stand and effectively give a presentation, pronounce words properly and effectively.  It really is an all encompassing study.

Which.... if given to the current crop of hosts would make those who already speak well, speak better and would make those who really have problems speaking, would help them become true professional speakers.

As it is now.... many hosts do not meet the criteria for effective speech and too many have highly irritating habits.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

Do you know for each one of you "Amy Haters" there are 1000's of us that will hang out with her anytime. She is super cute and fun and definely one of my favorites. You people are mean.

Contributor

Its like we are not even watching the same channel.  Now you are going to rag on Rachel and Stacy?? I am sure there are many statistics on which hosts have the best sales. I am sure they do very well.