Respected Contributor

Re: Please stop spending time mentioning how many are sold - It makes QVC hosts seem pushy!

@grooms, how dare a retailer attempt to make an additional sale? That's what they do, or should if they're doing their job.

Haven't people gone to stores and when checking out have a clerk suggest a coordinated piece, or ask if you need any accessories to go with it? Or mention this week the purses are on sale, the stockings are buy one get one 25% off, so on and so on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please stop spending time mentioning how many are sold - It makes QVC hosts seem pushy!

I appreciate knowing if something is the only order of the year. Yes, I like knowing that when that pink top is gone, I'm out of luck. It won't be on reorder. I like knowing when an item is limited in blue. I know not to leave something in my cart if it's something I really want.

Yes it suggest an urgency to buy. But it seems to me that  inventory is not as generous as it use to be, especially in certain lines.

I guess for those looking for entertainment, and I use that word facetiously, it could become irritating. I think those interested in buying then it could become interesting information.

Respected Contributor

@katyann  They are trying to create a sense of urgency to order. Not working, is it....

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

If the objective is sales, the consumer doesn't need to know how many have been sold, how many are left in navy blue, etc.

How about more product info and less chit chat.  I have turned it off because I didn't get the info I needed to make a purchase.  

For instance, when there has been pants with different inseams, the hosts will say, "these come in 3 inseams" and then they go on to some other inane tidbit.  Tell us what the inseams are!!!!  Give some more info !!!

At least HSN has the garment measurements up on the screen.  I find that very helpful.  They also take a couple minutes to tell what they are wearing and the item numbers.  QVC could use some of their skill sets.

@tends2dogs 

Of course we do!!

"If the objective is sales, the consumer doesn't need to know how many have been sold, how many are left in navy blue, etc."

If we hear SO many have been sold, it will convince us we want it too!  I mean, if THAT many people have bought it....I should too!

If there are only a few left in blue....I better hurry and order before I lose out!

It is sale marketing tactics pure and simple.  There is a reason why all shopping channels do this and that is to encourage sales...and fast!

It's as old a tactic as Tina honking her horn with that clock clicking down.

Trusted Contributor

I've been watching for 30 years, and they've always done this. They used to even have a ticker for it. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cheriere and going thru the colors - over and over again.

of course if they would name the items in colors that made sense, then it would be easier for the person shopping. If it's Pink, just call it pink not some silly name.

Respected Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@cheriere and going thru the colors - over and over again.

of course if they would name the items in colors that made sense, then it would be easier for the person shopping. If it's Pink, just call it pink not some silly name.

If they stopped this what would David V. do?