Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Since this is a "repeating" topic, I'm sure the post is out there somewhere from a mod who wrote giving hearts on old threads confuses (paraphrasing) the program.

Anyway, the gist of it was

Please don't do it!

I read through a lot of old threads and will sometimes post a link to one. I try to always remind others not to reply or heart in the old thread.

Sorry, posted without adding

@GenXmuse 

@Anonymous032819 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I didn't realize "hearting" a post bumped it. I thought you had to comment on it. I do like to be able to look back at old threads to get book, movie and recipes reviews. 

@GenXmuse 

Speaking of recipes...one night when I couldn't sleep, I went down the recipe rabbit hole. Oh my gosh, your recipes look AMAZING!  

I am so impressed by those like you who aren't afraid to tackle a recipe with more than 5 ingredients!😄 That being said I copied several for future reference. Thank you for sharing and so importantly including wonderful pictures.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I didn't realize "hearting" a post bumped it. I thought you had to comment on it. I do like to be able to look back at old threads to get book, movie and recipes reviews. 

@GenXmuse 

Speaking of recipes...one night when I couldn't sleep, I went down the recipe rabbit hole. Oh my gosh, your recipes look AMAZING!  

I am so impressed by those like you who aren't afraid to tackle a recipe with more than 5 ingredients!😄 That being said I copied several for future reference. Thank you for sharing and so importantly including wonderful pictures.

Aww, thank you so much @magicmoodz. I love cooking but you should see the kitchen after I'm done! It's like a superfund site. Lol 💗

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse 

Your love of cooking shows through your recipes. I showed my husband your Chimichurri Quinoa patties and he is jazzed to make them. Yum!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@GenXmuse 

Your love of cooking shows through your recipes. I showed my husband your Chimichurri Quinoa patties and he is jazzed to make them. Yum!

Thanks again!

Yay! I'm so glad. I hope you'll enjoy it. 👍

Honored Contributor

As others have discussed, the simple act of "hearting" a post won't/can't physically bump the thread... 

but it does bring attention to the thread when the person receiving the heart clicks on their Notification link and goes to that thread.

We won't necessarily notice the thread is old, and the heart notification can serve to "invite" us to respond. 

Then, if we do post a response, that's the action which bumps it to a place in current, active threads and puts it in jeopardy of being deleted (can't be sure the mods will preserve and lock it). 

Hope that makes sense.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I would believe that there are some people who just bump up old threads to be obnoxious. But, I think most of them are posted from new posters who start to type in a topic, the old one shows up, and they just jump in and start posting, not realizing the date. I don't usually remember to check the date all the time. I think it would be great if there could be an automatic lock on posts with no new entries, but not delete them. As others have said, there are a lot of good recipes in some of these older threads and I would hate to lose them, but it IS annoying when you see you have been posting to a thread that is many years old. Those should be locked. 

Unfortunately, as simple as it would be per dooBdoo, it will never happen here.

@Lisa now in AZ

We do see some that appear to be deliberate mischief intending to "bump and stir" (I remember when, on the old platform, we'd see multiple old threads bumped in that way).

Others are innocently called up with the search feature and used for posting without the person realizing it was an old discussion.   

Also, we have posters who aren't aware that bumping old threads isn't permitted.

The "loop and lock" would definitely be quick and easy and solve problems, but I agree with you --  I don't hold out any real expectation that the IT staff will do this.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I agree that it w/b so easy to do some sort of lock on a thread that hasn't had a post in x-time (a year? 6 months?  Less?).

Even with older threads hanging around one problem with this board is people starting threads that already exist.  This is one big reason I don't start threads here.  It's frustrating.  Semi-recently, I started a thread about an existing tv show having a new season coming up and shortly thereafter somebody else started that same thread.  That's just one example of a zillion times that two or three or more threads are started on the same exact subject.  It's annoying, to say the least.  Normal boards don't allow this or they just put them together into a single thread.

Meanwhile, some of it is trolling, or at least in the past here we used to see a lot of trolling by bringing up old threads.  I think it was usually overnight when somebody would start a new ID and bring up a whole slew of old threads.  A simple system would preclude this.