Occasional Contributor
Sage04 I appreciate that you understand what I was trying to say. What you thought the term OCD means ( to no fault of your own) is the result of exactly how the host and many people use the term. Some people have no idea it is a serious medical condition that causes mental anguish for people that suffer with it. Thanks for your understanding. The reason for my post is to educate people.
Trusted Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Tori3569 I too have had OCD my whole life and it manifests itself in dif. ways for sure. With me it's mainly constant intrusive thoughts that never leave my head, like if I don't do something then harm will come to me or my family. Weird rituals I must do--like tapping my foot on floor certain number of times before getting into bed & if I don't something bad will happen to me. It's like I can't get out of my head!

Same, @KKJ , same.  It's a terrible way to live, but I try my best.  Take care. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for bringing this up.  I am probably also guilty of using the term too casually, and will try to do better.

Respected Contributor

I am in total agreement with the OP.    Casually saying that you are OCD is terribly wrong.  Do I say "that's retarded" or "that's gay"?  Certainly not.  Put yourself in that person's shoes who is, or has a loved one, suffering from OCD.  Surely one is intelligent enough to find other words to use.

Respected Contributor

mindful suggests having manners.....

Esteemed Contributor

But, isn't there a wide range of severity of being OCD?  I have thought for a long time that our oldest son was a bit OCD.  He has never been diagnosed or anything like that.  But some things bother him that most people would not think twice about.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Regular Contributor

I notice people saying this frequently, and it's always like a slap in the face.  When you have a loved one that has suffered with OCD, it is heartbreaking for people to make light of it even though it's not intentional.

Honored Contributor

I think people use OCD as a form of bragging when talking about cleaning.  I have a friend who washes her plaster walls every year, also bragging.  Sounds like a good way to wear through the paint to me.  

Occasional Contributor

I agree 100% with the comments here. I have OCD. Its a debilitatung medical condition. Its is painful to hear a host mention OCD, as if its nothing. Everyday is a challenge for me; leaving the house to go to work without having to check things around the house 10 times or more is a good day. A day without obsessive runinations is a good day. To hear a host mention "their OCD" while their arranging a presentation is hurtful. I made a post about this before and the moderators blocked me from the blogs for a number of days. Perhaps its because I mentioned a hosts name? I am not doing that here. I am just saying what all the other people here are saying. If the hosts knew what OCD truly was they would never use the term. Perhaps time for the moderatores to bring this to the attention of Human Resources?