Occasional Contributor
I would like to see the hosts be more mindful of using the term OCD when describing how they organize or clean. In the last hour that I have been watching, 2 different host ( who I love by the way) have used this term. It stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and is a true mental illness (which my daughter has) It cheapens the term. No one would use a term for cancer or any other physical disability, and mental illness terms are no different. Thanks.
Trusted Contributor

@Oliveandes   Point well taken. 

OCD is a serious mental illness that should not be bandied about as a "sales technique or tool." 

Very insensitive of the hosts.

Respected Contributor

@Oliveandes   I agree with you. They should simply use the word obsessive. Obsessive changes to OCD when the compulsion interferes with everyday life.

Welcome to the Forums.

Trusted Contributor

I have OCD and was diagnosed with it as a child and take medication and go to therapy for it.

It does not always interfere with every day life as there are many different manifestations of OCD.  Not everyone washes their hands multiple times or has to do things a certain number of times, as most people think.  Many people like myself have internalized OCD which is not pleasant at all, but no one would know if I didn't tell them. 

I'm not offended at all by people using the term.  It's a disease that can range from very mild to much more debilitating, so one never knows when someone really has it.  

Occasional Contributor
I get offended when people use mental illness terms as everyday “slang” terms. OCD and Bipolar etc. I believe it cheapens the term and creates stigma. A shopping channel host has no business using it a “slang” term.
Respected Contributor

@Tori3569 I too have had OCD my whole life and it manifests itself in dif. ways for sure. With me it's mainly constant intrusive thoughts that never leave my head, like if I don't do something then harm will come to me or my family. Weird rituals I must do--like tapping my foot on floor certain number of times before getting into bed & if I don't something bad will happen to me. It's like I can't get out of my head!

Occasional Contributor
I have just noticed while looking through other post, there have been previous comments complaining about hosts used OCD term. The post have been moved. Hmm 🤔 Why would that do that.
Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion, being offended by someone saying OCD when they're not technically referring to a medical condition is being just too sensitive......That's just silly to be offended by something so completely innocuous. Others are entitled to their opinion and they can certainly choose to be offended by whatever they like....but a dimension of common sense needs to be entered into this dialogue.

Occasional Contributor
It certainly is not silly to ask that someone to be more mindful when using mental illness terms. Common sense is not use a mental illness term to describe yourself if you do not have the illness. Because people have started using mental illness terms as “ slang “ to describe something about themselves it creates stigma and cheapens the term. Maybe you see it as completely innocuous, but I do not. OCD is a serious medical condition and needs to be taken just as serious as a physical illness such as cancer, and yes they were making references to a medical condition. People that have a mindset such as yours are the reason there is mental illness stigma and mental illness not being taken seriously. It’s not about me being offended, I am defending people who have this illness and that would be hurt to hear a host just loosely throw around a term that is a very painful one to them. Educate yourself.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

I have OCD and was diagnosed with it as a child and take medication and go to therapy for it.

It does not always interfere with every day life as there are many different manifestations of OCD.  Not everyone washes their hands multiple times or has to do things a certain number of times, as most people think.  Many people like myself have internalized OCD which is not pleasant at all, but no one would know if I didn't tell them. 

I'm not offended at all by people using the term.  It's a disease that can range from very mild to much more debilitating, so one never knows when someone really has it.  

@Oliveandes  @Tori3569 and @KKJ  When ever I have heard of OCD I always thought of someone cleaning the same thing over and over. I always thought of it as been clean and organized.

Didn't know  there were other things involved.

I love to clean and I'm organized. Everything has to be in place but it's not the same as someone who is OCD.

Now I have a better understanding.