New Contributor

Please ask Pat James-Dementri to quit saying "Debbie Downer".  I have heard her use that term several times and it is extremely irritating, she doesn't need to make fun of a name in a negative manner. Thank you.

Super Contributor

I could not agree more, especially since my name is Debi. I'm sensitive and it does bother me. However, it doesn't appear to bother anyone else. I suppose if they constantly heard their name used negatively they may change their mind.

Thank you for this post.

Respected Contributor

I agree.  I don’t watch Qvc that much anymore.  Why would she even say that?

Honored Contributor

Debbie Downer was a fictional character from Saturday Night Live.  I always think of that character when someone says that name.

I have never associated it with any other person named Debbie.

Imagine if your name is John, Gay, Di*k, Johnson, Butch...there are more. You would hear your name almost everyday used for some other meaning.

Honored Contributor

There are, and have been, multiple posters who like to use the phrase to trash/diss other posters. It’s not new in that use, for sure.  Anyone who isn’t Pollyanna is a Debbie Downer.

Whatever its origins, it’s meant to be a name-calling of anyone who says anything those posters don’t appreciate. In that use, it’s very clearly meant to be insulting. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde do you think Pat is name calling on QVC to put people down?  Oh, I hope not.  She doesn’t seem to be the type of person who would do that.

I hear people use Debbie Downer a lot, even in school the teachers tell the kids to cheer up and don’t be a Debbie Downer.  I can’t imagine them trying to hurt everyone named Debbie.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde do you think Pat is name calling on QVC to put people down?  Oh, I hope not.  She doesn’t seem to be the type of person who would do that.

I hear people use Debbie Downer a lot, even in school the teachers tell the kids to cheer up and don’t be a Debbie Downer.  I can’t imagine them trying to hurt everyone named Debbie.

No, @Carmie, I think Pat uses it like most people use it - as an expression of “don’t be such a pessimist.” The posts I’ve seen on the QVC forums were more...negatively accusatory, let’s say. People on these forums frequently turn ordinary phrases into insults.

Seriously, although it must be irritating I’m sure to those named Debbie, it’s just a name that starts with a “D” and alliterates with downer, another d-word. Nothing more or less.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

People need to stop seeking out things to get offended about.  Every day it’s something more ridiculous than the day before.  Unless someone is calling you a Debbie Downer directly, then you have nothing to be offended about.  

Esteemed Contributor
The name "Debbie Downer" has been around since sometime in the 60s or 70s, and it has nothing to do with making fun of a person's name. A downer is a term associated with the music and drug culture of that time. As a vocabulary word it passed into general, if limited, use.

The descriptive term downer could be applied to many things. But when the downer was a person, he/she would be referred to as a Debbie Downer.
The phrase could just as easily have used a different name, but Debbie Downer is catchy, memorable, funny, and easy to say.

It would never occur to me to associate that phrase with Saturday Night Live, since I never watch it, and I was not aware until I read these posts they'd used that name for some character.
Respected Contributor

Silliest thing ever.