Valued Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

People need to stop seeking out things to get offended about.  Every day it’s something more ridiculous than the day before.  Unless someone is calling you a Debbie Downer directly, then you have nothing to be offended about.  

=======================

Very true.  I was wondering if Plain Jane and Joe Blow could offer any advice to those who are offended as they have been dealing with this very same problem for decades.

LOL. And Lazy Susan or Saucey Susan.

@Suziqzee, LOL!  Heart Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Name Calling

[ Edited ]

wrote:

If a grown woman (or man) can’t handle someone using part of their name as a common, not-profane, not 4-letter language, phrase - then they are too delicate to live in our world.

It’s an innocent, light-hearted joke until someone chooses to turn it into something else because they just decide to do so. That does not impress me, it just makes me wince at how self-centered that person is.

Many, many children grew up being teased about some aspect of their name. It wasn’t a big deal then and it isn’t now.

Waaaay too many delicate flowers out there - who are forced to post here about such a subject because they know that if they said the same thing to someone face-to-face that person would laugh their a** off and walk away shaking their head that this is how someone spends their days. 

Instead of the person being too delicate or unable to take a joke,   perhaps it is you who is lacking in compassion and empathy.  What does it hurt you to be nice to someone?

I agree, Debbie Downer, isn't the worst thing in the world.  But if it or some other term hurts someone, why be mean and use it?

Respected Contributor

I'm speechless.  LOL, better than Debbie does Dallas.  Anyone remember when that came out?   It was brought up more than once to me.    

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

People need to stop seeking out things to get offended about.  Every day it’s something more ridiculous than the day before.  Unless someone is calling you a Debbie Downer directly, then you have nothing to be offended about.  

=======================

Very true.  I was wondering if Plain Jane and Joe Blow could offer any advice to those who are offended as they have been dealing with this very same problem for decades.

LOL. And Lazy Susan or Saucey Susan.

Hey now !

1#%o.gif

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

There is also a Negative Nancy and a couple more that I cant think of at the minute.

@Imaoldhippie, I have heard and I use the term Nosy Rosy all the time.   

2nd hand Rose

Ouch, LOL

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Keep away from runaround Sue 😎

Hey now !  LOL

^sma.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't care for many of PD sayings and suggestions, she's been there too long.IMO

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

If a grown woman (or man) can’t handle someone using part of their name as a common, not-profane, not 4-letter language, phrase - then they are too delicate to live in our world.

It’s an innocent, light-hearted joke until someone chooses to turn it into something else because they just decide to do so. That does not impress me, it just makes me wince at how self-centered that person is.

Many, many children grew up being teased about some aspect of their name. It wasn’t a big deal then and it isn’t now.

Waaaay too many delicate flowers out there - who are forced to post here about such a subject because they know that if they said the same thing to someone face-to-face that person would laugh their a** off and walk away shaking their head that this is how someone spends their days. 

Instead of the person being too delicate or unable to take a joke,   perhaps it is you who is lacking in compassion and empathy.  What does it hurt you to be nice to someone?

I agree, Debbie Downer, isn't the worst thing in the world.  But if it or some other term hurts someone, why be mean and use it?

I give compassion and empathy to those whom I feel deserve it - in my opinion. And I’m sooo okay with that. An adult getting their undies in a twist because they perceive a use as someone making fun of their name? An adult actually, genuinely “hurt” because of this?  The use of the word “mean” in such an instance leaves me speechless.

Delicate flowers gonna be delicate flowers. Everyone else, thankfully, not.

While I don’t have any reason to go through life “being mean” to people, and don’t, I also have no special reason to go through life constantly on guard, 24/7/365, for the merest possibility that I might, perhaps, in some way I can’t even conceive, “hurt” or insult someone - anyone - else.

Neither “mean” nor delicate flower, but simply like most people.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@TenderMercies

I totally agree with you.  And anybody who has watched Pat for even a little bit, and is being the least big logical, would know that she is not "name-calling" when she says this.  I don't know Pat, of course, but in my wildest dreams I can't imagine her purposely hurting anyone's feelings.  Man, this is a real head-shaking, eye-rolling one, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Debbie Downer is an alliteration, like Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop. I don't believe it was ever intended to make fun of the name Debbie.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~