Honored Contributor

"Red-headed step-child" is kind of a slur on red-heads.  And on step-children.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

"Red-headed step-child" is kind of a slur on red-heads.  And on step-children.

Don't make me pull out the eye roll thing again!!!  LOL

Respected Contributor

Oh, brother...

Frequent Contributor

There was a baby doll way back when - Chatty Cathy!  Can't imagine all the Cathy's out there being offended since this could reference them being talkative and "Chatty"?  Geez!

Respected Contributor

Keep away from runaround Sue 😎

Honored Contributor

If a grown woman (or man) can’t handle someone using part of their name as a common, not-profane, not 4-letter language, phrase - then they are too delicate to live in our world.

It’s an innocent, light-hearted joke until someone chooses to turn it into something else because they just decide to do so. That does not impress me, it just makes me wince at how self-centered that person is.

Many, many children grew up being teased about some aspect of their name. It wasn’t a big deal then and it isn’t now.

Waaaay too many delicate flowers out there - who are forced to post here about such a subject because they know that if they said the same thing to someone face-to-face that person would laugh their a** off and walk away shaking their head that this is how someone spends their days. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

People need to stop seeking out things to get offended about.  Every day it’s something more ridiculous than the day before.  Unless someone is calling you a Debbie Downer directly, then you have nothing to be offended about.  

=======================

Very true.  I was wondering if Plain Jane and Joe Blow could offer any advice to those who are offended as they have been dealing with this very same problem for decades.

@AuntG

Once again, you crack me up!

And honestly, even if my name was Debbie and I was offended by it, I'd only hope that that term was the worst thing I had to deal with in my life. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Debbie Downer may have started out innocent enough, as a silly joke.  That doesn't mean it remains innocent and just a light hearted joke forever.  Lots of words and sayings start out one way but change over time.  

Why do people insist on using words that hurt others? This has nothing to do with political correctness.  It's just civility.  

How does it harm someone to not say something that hurts someone else?  

In this day and age, people had better toughen up.

When hearing the phrase or being called a Debbie Downer becomes hurtful to the point one has to cry about it, post about it in a public forum, or suffer otherwise, they should consider the state of their emotional health. 

There pretty much isn't anything left these days that won't offend/shock/'hurt' someone. 

It isn't so much the actual words spoken. It's the intent that needs to be considered as well. Just because someone uses the phrase doesn't mean it is being done in a name calling manner or to be hurtful. 

Some people just have to look for new ways to be offended. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Name Calling

[ Edited ]

wrote:

There was a baby doll way back when - Chatty Cathy!  Can't imagine all the Cathy's out there being offended since this could reference them being talkative and "Chatty"?  Geez!

That's a good one... I'll raise you my Shrinking Violet doll.  'My name is Shrinking Violet'.

I would like all the gals named Violet to please way in. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

My name is Cathy and I have always been chatty. Just wish that I bought the doll. I really love dolls. All kinds. Opps that’s enough for now. No I was never offended.