Honored Contributor

Moderators - notifying someone using @ and their name doesn't always work

[ Edited ]

When I try use the norification system (@ and their name) to create an Notification (i.e. bebe777 mentioned you in her post) it doesn't always work. 

After I've notified someone in one of my posts, if I mouse over the completed post I can tell if the notification has probably been effective. If I can see a line under the notification name that means that the notification has gone through. Otherwise, and this happens frequently, if there is no line under the post it probably means that the notification did not work. 

So then I'll go back into my post and retype the notification information while leaving the inactive prior notification in place. Sometimes the new notification will work while the prior notification, which I've left there for purposes of comparison, still isn't working. But it's the exact same information.

A friend of mine in another forum was having a problem, so I suggested that she post her issue here. I tried to give her the names of a few moderators to notify and I included their notification names in my post.

After I finished posting I checked my post and only one of the notification names was active. 

First I played around with the notification names. Then I cut and pasted moderator names from their posted names (where you can click on the name and go to their profile page). That worked to make another moderator notification link active. Finally, to get Keyal's link active, I had to find an actual post in a thread where his notification link was active. Then I cut and pasted the info and added it to my post. 

I've just typed these moderator notification links into this current post, just to see how they work right now: @Keyai , @Brittany-QVC@Beth-QVC , @Eva-QVC . What is interesting is that they all worked in the Suggestion Box forum, but most of them did not work in the Wen forum (in Favorite Brands) which was where I initially posted the names. 

Furthermore, In the Suggestion Box fourm, when I start to type their names a drop down box comes up to make name suggestions. That did not happen in the Wen forum. -- Additionally, this process does not always happen it the Suggestion Box forum properly.

Yesterday I added a post to the BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS! thread. @MacDUFF had already asked the moderators for an update on the books forum issue and he put some moderator notifications in his post. I cut and pasted his notification info and added it to my post (message #10). But when I looked at my completed post I realized that our notification links were not active, so I modified my post so that my notifications would be active.

Edit a few minutes later at 11:14am --I just went back and checked those two posts right now. MacDuff's notification to Kenai didn't work because the wrong notification name was used. But yesterday I don't believe that his notification to Eva had worked either. I'm not positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. Eva should be able to check by looking to see the exact time she received MacDuff's notification.

Clearly, and I say this in jest (but with a real bit of seriousness added *s*): there's got to be a better way...

This has been an issue since the Notification function was created in June and I would appreciate an update on where things stand in terms of getting it fixed. 

Thank you, in advance, for your time and attention to this problem. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

--

Honored Contributor

Re: Moderators - notifying someone using @ and their name doesn't always work

[ Edited ]

Now this gets even more puzzling...

I just looked at my post and, as I had suggested, I moused under all four moderator notificaion names but only @Keyai was underlined (so I'm guessing that the three other moderator names are not providing notifications). 

In each case, when I started to type in the notification name, QVC's drop down window appeared with suggestions of names I might want to use. In each case I chose the moderator's notification name. So I wasn't guessing at which name to use. I was using the names that the QVC computer system was suggesting. 

-- bebe ??? Smiley Happy ??? (since that's the best I can do with the current emoticon choices)

___ 

From my prior post... 

I've just typed these moderator notification links into this current post, just to see how they work right now: @Keyai-QVC , @Brittany-QVC , @Beth-QVC , @Eva-QVC . What is interesting is that they all worked in the Suggestion Box forum, but most of them did not work in the Wen forum (in Favorite Brands) which was where I initially posted the names. 

___

Valued Contributor

Re: Modarators - notifying someone using @ and their name doesn't always work

[ Edited ]

Hi @bebe777,

Sorry for the delay - I have received both of your notifications! I just popped into@WaterDragon's thread where you had tagged me earlier and read the issue she was describing. It looks like a few of her posts may have somehow gotten caught in our spam filter and I have now released them! Smiley Happy

In regards to the notifications, they can sometimes be tricky. You'll notice that they should have a line underneath them prior to posting if you have selected a user. If it's not underlined you may want to try typing it in again. 

Let us know if you need any further assistance! If you are unable to reach us by tagging, you can always reach us at QVCSocialTeam@QVC.com as well. Smiley Happy

Brittany 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brittany-QVC , first off thanks so much for taking care of waterdragon's issue. Smiley Happy She is an important member of our Wen community, so it was frustrating to find out that her posts were not going through. I'm going to share your post with her right now. Smiley Happy

Here's what's been particularly frustrating/mystifying about the glitches in the notification system...

Just a few minutes ago, in my prior post, when I started to type in the moderator notification names the QVC computer system drop down menu would give me names to choose from. Each time, I chose one of your moderator notification names. But when I checked my completed post afterwards, Only Keyai's name was underlined... and it was the QVC computer system that had generated the name choices. 

What's even more strange is that I've noticed that sometimes these notification names are active (hot / underlined), and sometimes they are not. 

It sounds as tough the notification function is glitchy and unpredictable. in a test post. Select 3-4 moderator names, and my name as an additional test, if you like. The select the names from the drop down menu selections. After your post has been completed, then go back to it and see if all the notification names have been underlined. Then go back to your post a number of times over the next few hours and check to see if all of the notification names are always active. 

Hopefully, that would help clarify what's I've been describing. 

I know it's frustrating to have to do this, but I think it really might help clarify the issue. 

Thanks so much for your help with waterdragon's issue and with the notification glitches!! I really appreciate it!! Smiley Happy 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bebe777 You are quite welcome!!! Smiley Happy

Hm - in regards to the tagging... I am going to forward your post to our Community Team since it sounds like it may be a technical issue. Let me give it a test here myself as well! Here goes! @Susan-QVC@Cindy-QVC@Kim-QVC @bebe777

Brittany 

Edited: So far so good, but I'm going to come back and check on it in an hour or two! It may not be an issue that I am able to replicate on my end, but regardless I will forward it along to see if we can figure out what might be causing this! 

Honored Contributor

@Brittany-QVC wrote:

@bebe777 You are quite welcome!!! Smiley Happy

Hm - in regards to the tagging... I am going to forward your post to our Community Team since it sounds like it may be a technical issue. Let me give it a test here myself as well! Here goes! @Susan-QVC@Cindy-QVC@Kim-QVC @bebe777

Brittany 

Edited: So far so good, but I'm going to come back and check on it in an hour or two! It may not be an issue that I am able to replicate on my end, but regardless I will forward it along to see if we can figure out what might be causing this! 

@Brittany-QVC , thank you so much for seeing this experiment through and forwarding the Community Team my information!!! Smiley Happy 

FYI, I just received the notification post which you sent just sent. 

Thanks again!!! 

-- bebe :0

Valued Contributor

Good, good! Happy to hear that you did receive the notification! You are quite welcome! Always happy to do a test run! Smiley Very Happy

Brittany