Valued Contributor

I will take MBR and anything she wants to say over S.K. and her dancing, prancing, and her silly sayings any day.IMO.                  Alleycat

Respected Contributor

I think MBR would try to change if she knew how annoying her pat phrases are to many viewers.  I don't think her management is passing this input on to her.  She is such a pleasant intelligent host.  I'm sorry to hear that some of her habits are so annoying to some viewers.  I would rather watch her any day rather than some of the other hosts on the roster.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Valued Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Alsee wrote:

Sure, she seems like a very nice woman - but honestly as a host she has become boring and her presentations aren't very good.

Here's the thing - maybe it's time for her to move on.

Boy oh boy I strongly disagree.  I find her presentations to be enjoyable even with her repeated phrases, which by the way are called "place holders", almost the same as saying "Ah Ah".  Sure, she could use a few new phrases but she holds my interest, isn't beating down the camara to get my attention and is a consumate professional..... I sure wouldn't be upset if there were a half dozen MORE MaryBeths......  Woman Happy

ITA we need more MBR's! She is a professional and is far above most of the rest. It seems now things are just getting picky. We all I am sure if listened to ourselves would not be perfect in any way if trying to hold a camera's attention for a period of time, I am sure most of us would sound quite unprofessional and people could pick us all apart.

Super Contributor

Carolyn is an immediate click for me because she can't get through a sentence without saying UM, UH.  Marybeth is and has always been boring even back when she was on CVN and I agree with OP.

Respected Contributor

I don't care who the host is, I can only take so much of the chatter and either turn it off or mute it, and watch only if the hour is of interest. In years past when online shopping didn't exist or few viewers had access, the hosts had to spend more time on measurements and other pertinent information about products, and this left little time for TMI about personal lives and silly banter. Now they rely on the viewers having access to multiple devices to look up product details on our own, and instead focus on selling a lifestyle, with some hosts adding a generous helping of their personal stories. This opens the door wide for all kinds of observations on annoying habits.

Esteemed Contributor

@jbinrwc wrote:

I think MBR would try to change if she knew how annoying her pat phrases are to many viewers.  I don't think her management is passing this input on to her.  She is such a pleasant intelligent host.  I'm sorry to hear that some of her habits are so annoying to some viewers.  I would rather watch her any day rather than some of the other hosts on the roster.

I agree. I used "here's the thing" and "The thing is" all the time and was not aware in the least I did this until someone remarked on it. Another I used and was not aware of is " my sense is". And the last is I would start a sentence with "So," and go on. I doubt MB is even slightly aware she's doing this. It's just ticks you pick up over the years and are not aware of them. 

I've always enjoyed everything about MB. And actually, I never even noticed she said that. 8)

Valued Contributor

I agree about MB's use of that catch phrase, but I don't think she's going to change at this late date. What does bother me is a NEW phrase that is taking over here and in other venues: To your point, followed by some agreement or added comment. It's on a par with "absent the ...."  meaning "without."

Just some venting by an English major/grammar nut. Thanks for listening.

Respected Contributor

I have noticed MB repeating that a lot. I like her presentations usually ,especially on fashion. As others have stated we all probably say and do annoying things in real life repeatedly . In real life I have spoken with people that repeat 'you know what I'm sayin?"  I just want to scream YES , I CAN COMPREHEND but I do not.Smiley Frustrated

Shopping channels are just that , not entertainment shows. I do find some presentations entertaining though . Like any sales presentations / people any means to make a sale is used . All seem to use some catch (?) phrase over & over == stinkin cute, happy dance,um uh, & the one it seems used by all 'literally'. When I hear one designer say " I literally wear this everywhere I picture her getiing out of the shower , gardening, shopping, etc. in a knit high low sweater(?Smiley LOL) and think couldn't she obtain another item from her collection?

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I have noticed MB repeating that a lot. I like her presentations usually ,especially on fashion. As others have stated we all probably say and do annoying things in real life repeatedly . In real life I have spoken with people that repeat 'you know what I'm sayin?"  I just want to scream YES , I CAN COMPREHEND but I do not.Smiley Frustrated

Shopping channels are just that , not entertainment shows. I do find some presentations entertaining though . Like any sales presentations / people any means to make a sale is used . All seem to use some catch (?) phrase over & over == stinkin cute, happy dance,um uh, & the one it seems used by all 'literally'. When I hear one designer say " I literally wear this everywhere I picture her getiing out of the shower , gardening, shopping, etc. in a knit high low sweater(?Smiley LOL) and think couldn't she obtain another item from her collection?

@okaywitheasypay  that made me laugh!  I think there are only two words that set my teeth on edge during the host/vendor presentations: #1 ="literally," which is used incorrectly 99% of the time, and #2 = "Sick" when a 40+ year old uses the term, for example -- "the faux leather & suede combination on this jacket is SICK!!"   Please leave that term to teenagers, pleeaasse.  Any other repetitive ticks don't really bother me.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is ridiculous that you didn,t buy an item because MBR says certain phases. Better than all the swearing on TV now and violence.  She is a decent lady.  Are you watching for entertainment or to buy?  Enough to complain about in this world without what a host says or doesn,t.

You were at least polite about your request.