Hosts mispronouncing color names

Many of the hosts mispronounce three color words - ochre (they pronounce it like the vegetable - okra), verdigris (the s is silent) and anemone (it’s a flower; the accent is on the 2nd syllable). Can they be corrected? It is truly annoying.
Regular Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing color names

[ Edited ]

It's been my experience that people who cannot pronounce words like the ones you gave as examples were not big readers in their growing-up years.  I learned those words from books I was reading and I was curious about words so if I didn't know what the word was I would look it up in the dictionary along with the pronunciation.  Sadly, I think the curiosity is lacking these days.  But yes, it would be great if the correction could be given to them so the error isn't made a second time.

Honored Contributor

not that annoying to me, but you could always send them a note on facebook or instagram if it is that bothersome.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaDeMoines  I just heard the s in verdigris online so..... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There once was a host named Suzanne, and she repeatedly pronounced voluptuous, as volumptuous. In addition she used it in the wrong context. It happened all the time, and I wondered why on earth the powers that be didn't take her aside and tell her. I was embarrassed for her. The host who can't pronounce anemone, WAS corrected on air, but she keeps saying it anyway.

Honored Contributor

Thee needeth to receiveth accustom'd to t

Like verbs that are being "ed"d because of texted.  I see it all the time here. 

Honored Contributor

If the pronunciations affected sales negatively, I assume the hosts would hear about their choices.  Apparently those who watch QVC to buy today, didn't expect to get a pair of veggies in the mail.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@LisaDeMoines  I just heard the s in verdigris and e in amenone online so..... 

iI's a French word, and the S is silent. The sound would be gree. The e at the end of anemone IS pronounced and it's anem at the beginning.

Esteemed Contributor

There are other things I find to be annoying, but something this benign is not one of them.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome @LisaDeMoines

The subject has been mentioned here before. 

Some prefer hosts speak proper English, others don't care.