Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing color names

We all know what they meant. Q doesn't hire trained journalists or new anchors so my expectations are not high. A lot of words are pronounced differently depending on region too. I just don't understand why people nit-pick others to death.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Like I said, it should be ECG.  We Americans change things to the way we want them, just like our culture.  If it is not broken, we break it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me its just another example of lack of preparation on the part of some of the hosts ......... Perhaps instead of thinking up fantasy stories, or all the personal questions for co-hosts/vendors, or personal anecdotes; they could be doing their "homework" for product presentations.....Woman Frustrated Pronouncing words correctly is part of their jobs as a professional shopping channel host.....Comedian, Norm Crosby based his whole act on mispronouncing words and people howled with laughter.... maybe some hosts are trying to "steal" his act...and title, "Master Of Malaprop".😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

All you have to do is go to YouTube and check pronunciation. A few clicks and you're set, there is really no excuse not do do some pre show prep.  JMO

@QVCkitty1 

In addition to You Tube, all they have to do is google a word in the search box and theres a speaker that comes up with the definition and you click the speaker icon to hear the pronounciation of the wordl 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

To me its just another example of lack of preparation on the part of some of the hosts ......... Perhaps instead of thinking up fantasy stories, or all the personal questions for co-hosts/vendors, or personal anecdotes; they could be doing their "homework" for product presentations.....Woman Frustrated Pronouncing words correctly is part of their jobs as a professional shopping channel host.....Comedian, Norm Crosby based his whole act on mispronouncing words and people howled with laughter.... maybe some hosts are trying to "steal" his act...and title, "Master Of Malaprop".😄

@Spurt   Amen to that.  I recall one newish host doing a jewelry show who clearly couldn't pronounce "chalcedony" so she just spelled it.  Now you'd think she might have been bright enough to notice before the show that she had an unfamiliar word and ask another employee (producer?) how to pronounce it or look it up in the dictionary.  I wonder how many of the Q's college grads know dictionaries have pronunciations?  Instead, she made a total fool of herself.  She didn't make probation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of the turquoise edict that demanded hosts use the pronunciation ending as "quois". You could tell some hosts hated it because they told the audience they were instructed to use that pronunciation. This was way back in the Kathy Levine era.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG    I recall Kenneth J. Lane started that turquois business as a joke then everyone started doing it. I don't remember it being an "edict"  however.  Thank goodness unlike Fri-yah, they wore it out. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It doesn't bother at all when I hear words mispronounced.  I grew up pronouncing words incorrectly myself.  Most of the members of my immediate family had a hearing disability...some were severe and they talked "funny."

As I grew up and was around folks who could hear and pronounced words correctly, I learned how to speak correctly from them.

Many people have speech and hearing problems.  As long as you can understand what they are trying to say, it is better to let it go.

It is rude to corrects someone.  I see a lot of grammatical errors on the forums.  It drives  me nuts, but I would never call someone out for it.

I'd rather be known as the person who mispronounces words than be known as a rude individual.

You miss the point.  You are talking about people discoursing on a non-professional level.That's a whole different story.    When someone such as a QVC host who is on national tv and is a paid professional who talks for a living mispronounces a word that really is unacceptable.  

According to your reasoning I guess it would be ok for a professional musician to play a c sharp minor instead of a c sharp major,  

Trusted Contributor

@LisaDeMoines  Yes, I agree, it is annoying.  If TPTB won't correct them, you'd think maybe their family or friends would point it out to them.  

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt   You don't have to be an English major to use correct grammar or to have the desire to use correct grammar, spelling, and pronunciation.