Valued Contributor

Re: Hosts inflating store prices

They’re always saying something silly.

The thinnest most basic tank top...this should be triple digits!

This is like Valentino!

Just tonight Kerstin said a Logo top was like Paris boutique fashion.

🤭
Honored Contributor

@ConsumReporter wrote:

In the last 15 minutes, the hostess announced that 1 poo pouri in the store was the same price as their 3 items. I looked up the 100 (largest) and the most I found was $9.95.... note 24. change.

I thought the FCC came after shopping shows that did this. Now, do you think I am ever going to believe anything this host says. Absolutely not. Where are the executives that are to watch out for mistakes.

Last week one host said to buy a lug purse because the confetti lining would make you feel like you are at party.  ODD, sad  but not misrepresenting the product.

Some parts of the country have higher cost of living and prices than others.  Perhaps they use a NY or CA price instead of some other location?  

Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippie That is what happens while on lock down. Little annoyances become big ones.I've had to back away a bit from neighbors, because every little thing is a grievance. People are bored.

Esteemed Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
They’re always saying something silly.

The thinnest most basic tank top...this should be triple digits!

This is like Valentino!

Just tonight Kerstin said a Logo top was like Paris boutique fashion.

🤭

Paris boutique....that's hilarious!!  Dont you love when they say add  a 1 or 2 in front of this price?  Ha, like I'd pay over $200 for some chintzy top.😵

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Regular Contributor

I take most of what the hosts say about a product with a grain of salt. I wish they'd stop using "exciting" to describe something. No David, a list of helpful hints to get us through these troubling times might be informative, but it certainly isn't exciting.
Honored Contributor

The sales pitch is to use the highest price they can find a comparable item selling.  Usually, that's a Madison Avenue or Fifth Avenue luxury store, or something from the Paris runway.  When it's a food item, they make the comparison with a celebrity chef restaurant.  

To me it's a very, very ridiculous practice to use as a comparison.  

I know how to compare pricing.  I always do it, making sure it truly is a similar product, then search reasonable places that I would typically shop.  That means not that 5-star restaurant in Dubai that sells $100 hamburgers.

Occasional Contributor

LOL this is cracking me up, and I agree.  I feel like I've heard the hosts say this more than I care to admit !