Contributor

I get it - there are lots of perks to being a QVC host.  (I once saw a host, while on air, moan about not getting the color handbag she wanted because it was sold out and the guest assured the host not to worry, she would give her one) 
But JEEPERS! do they have to be so blatant and obvious about it?  
I mean, really, I don't need to see items that Shawn Killinger purchased "pre-launch"!  
sheesh. 

Here endeth my rant.

Respected Contributor

Many places of employment have perks for their employees.  I worked for physicians and received medical care and medical advice.  When I worked for a retailer I received a 20% discount on purchases.  I don't see any problem with perks that are legal.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts Perks....

[ Edited ]

@LillyAnne wrote:

I get it - there are lots of perks to being a QVC host.  (I once saw a host, while on air, moan about not getting the color handbag she wanted because it was sold out and the guest assured the host not to worry, she would give her one) 
But JEEPERS! do they have to be so blatant and obvious about it?  
I mean, really, I don't need to see items that Shawn Killinger purchased "pre-launch"!  
sheesh. 

Here endeth my rant.

QVC is a sales site. That means they will use every sales tactic to sell you something. Talking about the things they pre-order and buy is a sales tactic. If you prefer few sales from a sales site, you're in the wrong place and may want to turn on CNN or Lifetime.

I don't understand why so many people get mad when a shopping channel actually tries to sell us something. It's like going to a restaurant and getting mad when the server asks to take your order. You came to them.

Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

QVC is a sales site. That means they will use every sales tactic to sell you something.

@ChynnaBlue, that's a good point.  It's just another sales tactic.  I always get annoyed that it sounds like bragging.  Yeah, that's my issue but obviously that tactic doesn't work on me.  Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

Many places of employment have perks for their employees.  I worked for physicians and received medical care and medical advice.  When I worked for a retailer I received a 20% discount on purchases.  I don't see any problem with perks that are legal.

So true -  the QVC perks are small compared to what some get,  Ever talk to parents who work at some colleges where their kids get major, major tuition breaks?  A few bottles of Philosophy hardly compare.

This is nothing new either.  In the sixties I ended up living a few houses away from a distant cousin who managed the children's department for a major chain.  His daughter had a wardrobe the Kardashians might envy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LillyAnne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

QVC is a sales site. That means they will use every sales tactic to sell you something.

@ChynnaBlue, that's a good point.  It's just another sales tactic.  I always get annoyed that it sounds like bragging.  Yeah, that's my issue but obviously that tactic doesn't work on me.  Cat Tongue

Good for you! We're all better off whenever a sales tactics doesn't work on us. Smiley Happy We'll get in less trouble that way.

Honored Contributor

@LillyAnne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I never believe the hosts when they say things like that. To me it's a very annoying sales tactic because it clearly shows they believe their audience to be gullible and will  believe anything. It reeks of phony to me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@LillyAnne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I never believe the hosts when they say things like that. To me it's a very annoying sales tactic because it clearly shows they believe their audience to be gullible and will  believe anything. It reeks of phony to me.

True but I think for some, it DOES work. Just like saying that it is a popular item and going fast, better get it before it is gone because it is flying out the door! It feeds into some people's impulse buying. Trust me,if these tactics didn't work, they wouldn't do them. Crazy to think some fall for it!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@LillyAnne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

True but I think for some, it DOES work. Just like saying that it is a popular item and going fast, better get it before it is gone because it is flying out the door! It feeds into some people's impulse buying. Trust me,if these tactics didn't work, they wouldn't do them. Crazy to think some fall for it!

Oh yes, some do buy it. And the thought that they believe makes me cringe.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't begrudge them anything they get but the perks are more than a few bottles of Philosophy.  Some of the hosts have talked about the big boxes of items arriving on their doorstep from vendors/lines.  I think many times, if not all the time, they get the TSV for free.  But that is all part of their job and more power to them. 

I know people who work at various retail stores and get the good merchandise as soon as it arrives or they buy things as soon as they are marked down.  When I worked in a hair salon, I never paid to get my hair done and got all my hair products at cost. That saved me a ton of money. 

That being said, I think the hosts "fib."  Some hosts will say they aren't allowed to order anything new prior to their show, that it has to be presented to viewers first.  Then you have a host claiming she bought all kinds of new stuff before she came on air to make sure she got it.  It's all a sales tactic.