Super Contributor

Re: Host bashing is bullying

@blueroses47 wrote:

It's just my opinion, but I think the term "bullying" has gotten way out of hand.  Today if you say anything negative about anyone it's "bullying", and I don't think that what bullying is, at all.  To bully someone is very different.

To post something negative about a host might be unkind, and mean-spirited, but it isn't bullying.

I think that people still should be able to voice their opinions, there is still such a thing as freedom of speech.  No matter how unpleasant we find it, it still should be allowed.

If a conversation is not to your liking, don't take part.

I do understand why the moderaters delete things when they get too out of hand.  It's in respect and protection of their hosts, co-workers.

@blueroses47  Well said...agree 100%!!!

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

IMO constructive and destructive criticisum is the same thing, just said in different wording and tone of voice.  Its all the same and is used to justify saying mean things about someone.

**********  I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. How you word something and the tone of voice play a very important part in communication and what your intent is.  If I looked at a friend and absolutely hated what she was wearing, I could say, "(Oh my gosh, that looks terrible on you....makes you look 20 lbs. heavier" or I could consider her feelings first and foremost and say, "hey, if you like it... that's what's important".  If she asked me how I reaaallly felt, I could still be honest and  say..."it's not for me...just not my style" which would be opposite of saying....that's a gut-wagon dress!!!!!  It's really all about saying what you think in a kind manner and still respecting the person without putting them in a "bad light".  Of course, we have all probably been guilty of that at times...I know I have,  but some people here seem to make it a career and that certainly in not pretty.  

Honored Contributor

Look up the definition of 'bullying'. Nothing that transpires here meets that definition. Bullying involves intimidating, tormenting, persecuting or brow beating, primarily those perceived as vulnerable. Simply doesn't apply...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@K9buddy wrote:

Why is it so wrong if someone posts that they don't like a hosts' make up or hairstyle?  What's wrong with saying that you're annoyed with the way a host eats or constantly takes her glasses on and off?  If we were all friends/neighbors, we'd be saying these things to each other, but since our connection is through this message board, that's where we get to share our likes, dislikes and opinions. 

These boards are for US,  not for the hosts.  

The wrong is that we are not all friends with the hosts and we say these things to each other, We are posting on a public forum and saying these things behinds someone back.

How would you feel if you were somewhere work related and your picture was taken and the next day your picture was posted on Facebook and strangers were saying negative things about your clothing and make-up?

Why  do I fell like I am trying to explain what is right and what is wrong to a child?  We are all adults here.  I think we should know better.  

You're getting it all wrong.  I never said we were friends of the hosts.  We're just a bunch of, perhaps, gossipy people who are having exchanges about what we see on television.  That should be our right here.  As Dr Phil would say, if you don't like it.......unplug. 

This has nothing to do with Facebook. 

Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe you're right that it's people with nothing better to do.  So what?  You don't know their situation. What would you like them to be doing? Oh yes, praising all of the hosts.  Sure.  It's not your place to judge what someone does with their life, and I'm sure you have never engaged in any "idle gossip"

@jubilant wrote:

I tend to think of it as people who have nothing better to do  then to engage in "idle gossip".  Many people don't know the difference between  constructive criticism and destructive criticism.  One is done with good intentions for a better outcome and having good will towards that person.......the other is not and their intentions are not quite so pure.    

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Maybe you're right that it's people with nothing better to do.  So what?  You don't know their situation. What would you like them to be doing? Oh yes, praising all of the hosts.  Sure.  It's not your place to judge what someone does with their life, and I'm sure you have never engaged in any "idle gossip"

@jubilant wrote:

I tend to think of it as people who have nothing better to do  then to engage in "idle gossip".  Many people don't know the difference between  constructive criticism and destructive criticism.  One is done with good intentions for a better outcome and having good will towards that person.......the other is not and their intentions are not quite so pure.    

@K9buddyInstead of being so nasty and negative they could consentrate on being positive and doing things to improve their own lives.  Being nasty and negative is a choice only each individual can make and dragging others down by being  nasty will never improve anyone's lives and just make them more unhappy and miserable.  No one has to state an opinion in a mocking nasty way - it's a  conscious choice!!

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@K9buddy wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@K9buddyInstead of being so nasty and negative they could consentrate on being positive and doing things to improve their own lives.  Being nasty and negative is a choice only each individual can make and dragging others down by being  nasty will never improve anyone's lives and just make them more unhappy and miserable.  No one has to state an opinion in a mocking nasty way - it's a  conscious choice!!

I guess there's no need for counselors, therapists or psychiatrists.  Your solution is so much simplier.  You just will yourself to be the person Pooks thinks you should be.  You can judge the comments you don't like, but you shouldn't be judging the people who write them. Maybe you shouldn't assume they're terrible people.  Maybe you should have compassion. 

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@K9buddy 

What would I like them to be doing?  I would like to see them be kinder with their complaints.  It's not a matter of never being able to critique someone.  It's all about giving some thought to what you say and how you say it. If you read my post #52 you will see that, yes, I have admitted to gossiping in my life. I  surely am not proud of it and would not justify it "because I had nothing better to do".  We all can do better if we really want to and, in turn, it makes this world a better place when we learn to treat our fellow man with some respect. 

Trusted Contributor

In my opinion, 'bashing' posters for their opinions is no better than 'bashing' the hosts.  That's all I have to say about the matter.  Happy New Year.