Honored Contributor

Re: Host bashing is bullying

@Carmie wrote:

@K9buddy wrote:

Why is it so wrong if someone posts that they don't like a hosts' make up or hairstyle?  What's wrong with saying that you're annoyed with the way a host eats or constantly takes her glasses on and off?  If we were all friends/neighbors, we'd be saying these things to each other, but since our connection is through this message board, that's where we get to share our likes, dislikes and opinions. 

These boards are for US,  not for the hosts.  

The wrong is that we are not all friends with the hosts and we say these things to each other, We are posting on a public forum and saying these things behinds someone back.

How would you feel if you were somewhere work related and your picture was taken and the next day your picture was posted on Facebook and strangers were saying negative things about your clothing and make-up?

Why  do I fell like I am trying to explain what is right and what is wrong to a child?  We are all adults here.  I think we should know better.  

So... which is it? We''re saying these things on a public forum or we're saying these things behind someone's back... because the two would appear to be mutually exclusive... As far as it goes, were I in the public eye, I'd be surprised if there wasn't commentary about me...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@K9buddy 

Thank you and Happy New Year to you!

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@K9buddy wrote:

Maybe you're right that it's people with nothing better to do.  So what?  You don't know their situation. What would you like them to be doing? Oh yes, praising all of the hosts.  Sure.  It's not your place to judge what someone does with their life, and I'm sure you have never engaged in any "idle gossip"

@jubilant wrote:

I tend to think of it as people who have nothing better to do  then to engage in "idle gossip".  Many people don't know the difference between  constructive criticism and destructive criticism.  One is done with good intentions for a better outcome and having good will towards that person.......the other is not and their intentions are not quite so pure.    

@K9buddyInstead of being so nasty and negative they could consentrate on being positive and doing things to improve their own lives.  Being nasty and negative is a choice only each individual can make and dragging others down by being  nasty will never improve anyone's lives and just make them more unhappy and miserable.  No one has to state an opinion in a mocking nasty way - it's a  conscious choice!!

I guess there's no need for counselors, therapists or psychiatrists.  Your solution is so much simplier.  You just will yourself to be the person Pooks thinks you should be.  You can judge the comments you don't like, but you shouldn't be judging the people who write them. Maybe you shouldn't assume they're terrible people.  Maybe you should have compassion. 

@K9buddy  The only thing any of us has control over is our own actions.  That concept can be achieved by most if they really want to but some may need help with that and should go for help but most that post nasty bashing things are probably well aware they purposely are doing it.

Respected Contributor

Google Dictionary:

bul·ly
/ˈbo͝olē/
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying
seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable).

Criticism of a host's professionalism, behavior, demeanor is not in the Google Dictionary description of bullying.  We all who watch QVC and post here have different likes and dislikes. There are hosts I simply refuse to watch due to my dislike for various reasons; you might like them, I may not.  We each have that right and within the guidelines of this forum can express what is allowed in regard to any host.  We have spoken out about changes in programming, host assignments, etc. and feedback is appropriate for improvement.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Bullying?  Ridiculous.

As an adult, don't elect to have a career in front of a television camera if you don't want people to talk about you. 

The comparisons of a host's job to the jobs many of us have is absurd.  Most of us, I'm assuming, don't work in front of a camera.

@Johnnyeager  Thank you for your wise and realistic comment!

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wow.  Just posting your opinions and comments is met with vitriol and venom spewing.

And I didn't even criticize a beloved host.  I only stated that in my opinion viewers and shoppers may give feedback and commentary.

But as a stupid person I guess I really don't know any better.  But I do think televsion personalities should expect to have their behavior and appearance noted.  They are, after all, entertainers and celebrities.

@Johnnyeager  Amen!  And thank you for making a great point about posting opinions and comments!

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wow.  Just posting your opinions and comments is met with vitriol and venom spewing.

And I didn't even criticize a beloved host.  I only stated that in my opinion viewers and shoppers may give feedback and commentary.

But as a stupid person I guess I really don't know any better.  But I do think televsion personalities should expect to have their behavior and appearance noted.  They are, after all, entertainers and celebrities.

@Johnnyeager  Amen!  And thank you for making a great point about posting opinions and comments!

I've read through the thread but didn't see the vitriol and venom spewing. Since you two agree it's here maybe one of you wouldn't mind pointing it out.

As to being "a stupid person" I have to wonder why you would intentionally leave out the imperative part of that comment where @Carmie  clearly stated it was said only to make a point. And, in fact, she actually complemented you in that post! Maybe you missed it, maybe you didn't read to the end, or maybe you were looking to use it as a way to be a bit of a martyr? Smiley Wink

Either way, for those who missed what was actually said in that post I will repost it here in its entirety ~

Carmie's post ~

"I think your comments are stupid.  That is my opinion.  I also think telling you is not nice and is not something I  would normally do, but you are an adult and are posting publicly, so you should expect to have people say that about your opinions.

The reason I feel your comments  are stupid is because there  are many people who have job where they are in the public's view most of the time that they are working.  It would be wrong to talk about them and it is wrong to talk about someone on TV.

Now, if someone said the hosts, or didn't mention a name, that would be okay, but even then other posters will jump on board and mention the host in question or come up with a list of hosts who do things that bother them

As adults we should know better.  Most of this is done by females.  It's not something you see males doing often.  Women are always critiquing other women.

BTW, I don't really agree with your comments, but they actually aren't stupid...just said that to prove a point.  I enjoy your input even if we disagree."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JohnnyeagerI never called YOU stupid and I would never say such a thing.  I said your comments were stupid.

Then I explained why I said it.

Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

It's just my opinion, but I think the term "bullying" has gotten way out of hand.  Today if you say anything negative about anyone it's "bullying", and I don't think that what bullying is, at all.  To bully someone is very different.

To post something negative about a host might be unkind, and mean-spirited, but it isn't bullying.

I think that people still should be able to voice their opinions, there is still such a thing as freedom of speech.  No matter how unpleasant we find it, it still should be allowed.

If a conversation is not to your liking, don't take part.

I do understand why the moderaters delete things when they get too out of hand.  It's in respect and protection of their hosts, co-workers.

just reading this response is why I very rarely post on the boards anymore.   I guess i'm from the old school.  If I don't have anything nice to say, I just rather keep it to myself.  It makes me a better person.  

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@ScarletDove   and what about the models?  Have they not been off limits as if they are volunteers for some great humanitarian cause and are spared any negative thoughts.  But, no, they are not volunteer humantiarians.  They are people who worked hard to attain this status and pay, to flaunt their bodies, faces and poise.  I have never criticized any one of them publicly, but just asking why are they off limits if the hosts are not and why are the hosts not being criticized if it is deemed necessary and why is fair critique of a person being paid to talk considered bullying.  Some days it is hard to understand the word comprehension of the average poster