Contributor

Somewhere a long time ago there was a fashion item consisting of a set of 5 black items of clothing that you could mix and match- "called five easy pieces". The items were a black tank, pants, skirt, cardi and top.I think selling clothing in sets is a great idea and makes life so much easier. I would love Isaac to do a Five Easy Pieces set we could depend on to always work together for travel or everyday wear. Denim and Company might think along these lines also.But sets seem to be having new appeal.

Honored Contributor

Great idea....but sets are a challenge due to body types.  Maybe you could shop for your own 5 easy pieces, so it would fit your individual body.

Respected Contributor

The five easy pieces seems like a great idea.  I think if we are interested, we can create our own set that works for us.  I am not sure how profitable it would be for QVC.  They would probably make more money selling a large variety of stuff so that we keep looking and coming back for more.

Regular Contributor

This idea is essentially how I significantly streamlined my wardrobe. Stuck w/three basic colors that all go together and bought separates -- often from the same lines: pants, midi/maxi skirts, sweater sets. Mix & match...and go!

Plus some favorite skirts & dressier dresses in these color schemes that I already had and chose to keep. Everything else was donated. Did another purge this weekend (having an organizational system put into our main closet soon), and I got all of my hanging clothes down maybee 2-feet of space. It's done wonders for my mental clarity.

Full disclosure: I do have some "drawer" clothes like Tshirts, workout clothes, etc. And "shelf" clothes like sweaters. But I try to purge 10% every 6 weeks or so to keep it to a manageable amount for me -- in addition to purchasing well very infrequently and not buying fast fashion. YMMV.

Trusted Contributor

Donna Karen had this line decades ago. I think it was even called the same name.

Respected Contributor

There were several designers who did that concept many years ago.  Randolph Duke was one of them and I remember wearing some of his things for years.   They were quality and basic items that you could work with and personalize. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I have never been able to wear sets of clothes, top and bottom.  Always took a size larger in the blouse or jacket than the skirt or slacks due to my wide shoulders and long arms.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Slopester   I'd love to be able to buy a set like you describe, but add me to the list of women who like the idea, but who would not buy the whole set all in one size.   I already choose my daily outfits by first choosing one print item and adding solid pieces that co-orinate well with it.   I can't remember the last time they were all of the same size or the same brand.

Trusted Contributor

There was a guy on HSN at least 10 years that did something similar.  They weren't in a set so you could get the size you needed but he had a lot of different pieces.  They were all knit I believe, and they fit me so well.  I would kill for the black sheath dress and matching cardigan.

I remember that he was very successful but he was kind of loud and maybe too energetic.  Then he started to annoy people and then he was gone.  I would recognize his name if I heard it.

Trusted Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

There were several designers who did that concept many years ago.  Randolph Duke was one of them and I remember wearing some of his things for years.   They were quality and basic items that you could work with and personalize. 

@Jk9 :  I am quite sure you are right about it being Randolph Duke.  He was a serious designer and I haven't heard his name in a long time.  Back in the day QVC did have some real designers as opposed to all the in-house brands and celebrity lines they now feature.