Respected Contributor

Re: Excessive host bashing from the forums

@Moonchilde No that type of comment should not be made. I meant such as suggestions in their presentations, nothing about their appearance. That IS unacceptable!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@Moonchilde No that type of comment should not be made. I meant such as suggestions in their presentations, nothing about their appearance. That IS unacceptable!

My point was that each individual basher always says they’re being constructive, never rude or unkind. But it cannot be up to individual posters because those posters will never admit to being inappropriate, ever, and will continue to post rude comments. It’s only the moderators who can make those decisions. 

When there are posts that discuss tone of voice, speaking rapidly, omitting important info, etc, those posts do remain. But if they’re in a thread that gets deleted, well them, it all goes. And I don’t have a problem with that. QVC itself doesn’t “need” them, they have their bottom line in $$$.

Whether QVC pays any attention to the suggestions or comments is based 95% on the host’s sales numbers, I’m sure. Looks how many complaints there are about Susan Graver, Mally, Renee Greenstein, and other vendors. They annoy many, many people, but must sell a lot of mdse - so much mdse that QVC couldn’t care less if some people don’t like them. QVC does not care which poster detests who on-air. They care about $$$$. As long as the money is there it will be business as usual. And since some of these complaints have been going on for years, I can’t see sales of these vendors’ mdse slowing down or tanking, no matter how many posters hope it will so they can be “right.”

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

IMO saying a host talks too fast (constructive criticism), is not the same as saying they are fat.

Honored Contributor

I'm with the OP.   Why bash someone over really trival things....their hair, their clothes, place settings, pronunciation.   Do or don't watch.  Do or don't buy.   

I realize being nice is difficult for some these days.  Everything on the news shows politicians and others bashing, hurting, lying, and being huge hypocrites.  It's like permission was given to be mean and cruel.  Why can't people rise above some of this?

Contributor

There is absolutely nothing wrong with constructive criticism; every industry uses it to help their employees do the best job possible.  When I watch the Q I have high expectations of getting a detailed description of an item that I am considering to purchase.  I agree that when we are not happy with a presentation it is best to change the channel but this does not solve the problem.  Employers are responsible to assist their employees with their weaknesses and praise them for their strengths.  QVC has an excellent group of hosts that I enjoy watching and it would be great not to change the channel if there are improvements made with other hosts.

Respected Contributor

As public figures they are fair game for criticism. That is part of the deal that comes along with being in media, moreso today than ever with the social media presence. If they do not want that they are welcome to apply to Kohls and make $10 an hour.

Respected Contributor

They chose to be in the public eye, if you can't stand the heat.....

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shopchickie3 wrote:

It's disturbing to see the constant host bashing. It's 

like cyber bullying. I think it's negative and hurtful. You are not in charge of hiring or managing these hosts and I think it is inappropriate to suggest any course of action simply because you may not like a voice or clothing or mannerism. I don't know why I'm even posting this but it seems like the prevailing sentiment lately for people to jump all over everyone via Facebook or social media- I don't like it. Sad. 

@Shopchickie3  Well, the Moderators here do remove a lot of host-bashing posts, with the statement "unkind to host" as their reason for removal,  so the ones that are official inappropriate get zapped away.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

As public figures they are fair game for criticism. That is part of the deal that comes along with being in media, moreso today than ever with the social media presence. If they do not want that they are welcome to apply to Kohls and make $10 an hour.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I heard Kohls isn't hiring anymore help.   I am sorry I could not resist  JK  

Honored Contributor

I don't think the OP knows what real bashing is!  I haven't really seen anyone be real mean to anyone much less the hostesses.

As someone said, angry or mean posts get deleted.  I don't think there's anything wrong with commenting about a host who's loud or repetitive or whatever bothers someone.

Look, if we all could do it, we would.  But we can't and most of us don't want to.  We do change the channel.  However, change only comes from people speaking up and giving their opinion.

Again, I think (forever what it's worth) the everyone here is relatively kind and not really mean.  

How can QVC improve if we don't tell them how to improve.  Ha!