Respected Contributor

Re: Excessive host bashing from the forums

It's cyber bullying for sure.  If you don't care for a host why rush to the forums to bash them.  Yes, it is going to get deleted by the mods but why do it in the first place?  I think it is a sad commentary on the human condition.  It's easy to hide behind a keyboard and rip somebody to shreds. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not only happens to hosts to users here on the forum. This morning had my own experience individual wouldn't stop. To the point she or he sounded unstable. Makes you wonder anger people walk around with. Recall watching news story on road rage years ago. Two women respected in the community married with children. Rage escalated to one chasing the other woman with her car... Both women lost everything one her life.

True that's extreme case but....lesson can be learned walk away from mean spirited people. Engaging with such individuals doesn't help might cause more retribution. Though in my case the person was relentless. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the Q should pay attention to the constructive criticisms of the hosts.  Most of them are spot on.

These are TV people.  You don't do your job to the satisfaction of the viewers, you're out.  If you can't handle that practice, you have chosen the wrong profession.

It is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon  I am not certain what forum the OP is referencing, however, it is my experience that most host bashing is quickly shut down. Perhaps the OP is simply unaware of the vitriol that existed on the previous forums against certain hosts, now, gone. (And, everyone knows to whom I speak) But, with a minimal number of posts, perhaps the OP simply does not have that historical reference. Then again, maybe they do and it is pot stirring. Who knows. However, I do not think it exists in the framework that was described. In addition, the hosts are public figures and are under public scrutiny. Public figures are almost always unsuccessful in their lawsuits citing slander and libel, because they are public figures.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many of the chronic bashers have written they believe they're 'helping' QVC with their repetitious fault finding.
Oddly enough, these helpers resent any constructive criticism aimed at themselves from fellow posters, and mocking label anyone who disagrees with them as  "Q lovers". 

Stating you have trouble understanding a hosts because they speak too rapidly is a constructive criticism.

However, the OP wrote about the bashing.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I don't know why you're posting this either. Mods seem to erase unkind postings quickly although many of us are in agreement - and are thinking the same.  Nobody can force us to always like what we see on the Q.

Hope you have a happy day!

ITA, @fthunt  I rarely see much in the way of snarky remarks because the mods ****** them in the bud.  All people in the public eye put themselves in the position of receiving criticism; it goes with the territory.  I do see and often agree with comments about certain hosts being hard to understand because they talk so fast and/or mumble.  I consider this sort of criticism justified.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It seems post like this pop up every couple of months from relatively "new" posters.  Sorry but I think many of them are nothing more than threads to get things stirred up again.

The majority of the time, they turn into posters justifying comments about the hosts and the threads get ugly. 

There is also the fact that what some consider bashing, others consider part of being a public figure.  I do think there is a huge difference between bashing a host and constructive criticism of a host.  I also think the word bashing is thrown around far too often on these boards.

There are posters on this board who think nothing of namecalling, slamming and going after fellow posters but they are the first ones who whine when anything is said about a host or vendor that isn't to their liking. 

I feel sorry for the mods here and the office of the President.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  When it gets to the point where I'm calling anyone at QVC, especially the President's office, over posts on this board, it's time for me to step away, way far away, from these forums.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It seems post like this pop up every couple of months from relatively "new" posters.  Sorry but I think many of them are nothing more than threads to get things stirred up again.

The majority of the time, they turn into posters justifying comments about the hosts and the threads get ugly. 

There is also the fact that what some consider bashing, others consider part of being a public figure.  I do think there is a huge difference between bashing a host and constructive criticism of a host.  I also think the word bashing is thrown around far too often on these boards.

There are posters on this board who think nothing of namecalling, slamming and going after fellow posters but they are the first ones who whine when anything is said about a host or vendor that isn't to their liking. 

I feel sorry for the mods here and the office of the President.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  When it gets to the point where I'm calling anyone at QVC, especially the President's office, over posts on this board, it's time for me to step away, way far away, from these forums.    

Great post !!🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I think it's fine to suggest hosts talk slower, speak clearer, stop the hard sells, let the vendor present information, etc. It pertains to their job. When the criticism gets personal that's when it should be nipped in the bud. I personally either mute the host or don't watch them at all. Not watching I think is more hurtful to the Q than constant complaining - if the host is a top seller, they're not going anywhere unless they choose to leave.

Honored Contributor

If people ignored it and there were no responses it would not exist. 

The issue is that some think a critique needs to always be positive. Anything else is labeled host bashing. 

No one but the moderators have a real say on what goes and what stays. I trust their judgment ...after all they are employed by QVC and do a great job...