Contributor

I wish the hosts and designers, that are from the US would quit pronouncing the word "mauve" incorrectly.  It is not a long 'O' sound, it is like a short 'O' or 'AA' together sound....JUST GOOGLE IT PLEASE!

Trusted Contributor

Re: ENGLISH PRONUNCIATION

[ Edited ]

@Suzyq1 

The pronunciation of the word "mauve" with a long "o" is not incorrect.

Found at www.m-w.com:

mauve
\ ˈmȯv  , ˈmōv \

Found at https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq-audio-pronunciations: "Why do some words have multiple pronunciations listed in the definition but only one audio pronunciation?

"In many cases where there are multiple variant pronunciations only the first, most common variant is offered in audio format."

Honored Contributor

In the great scheme of things, does it really matter?  We all know what the speaker is describing.  There are millions of regional pronunciations yet we manage to understand each other.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

It is NOT a matter of a regional accent. It's whether it's correct or not. "Mauve" should have a LONG O. It's a French word and they have changed their pronunciations. In French, the "au" sound is "O."

Honored Contributor

@zitawins    We're not French.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Potato - Potato

Tomato - Tomato

Don't care!  Doesn't matter! 

Honored Contributor

How can the French pronounciation be wrong?  Its their word that we stole.  

Honored Contributor

U.S. Webster's dictionary pronunciation of mauve.  

m.a.w.v.   The aw pronounced the same as in the word, "awe."

I was taught U.S. Standard English in school, or what's also called "Newscaster English", what we hear used by the main stream media and local news stations, and learned to say mauve the same as Webster.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@zitawins    We're not French.

@Kachina624 The word is I believe.  But it's silly to say either is "wrong."  If it IS a French word then it's US who are wrong.  

Honored Contributor

@Suzyq1 wrote:

I wish the hosts and designers, that are from the US would quit pronouncing the word "mauve" incorrectly.  It is not a long 'O' sound, it is like a short 'O' or 'AA' together sound....JUST GOOGLE IT PLEASE!

Go to New York, Boston, Mobile, Atlanta, Kansas City, Dallas, Minneapolis, Billings, Phoenix and more.  They all have different accents and ways to pronounce words.   I'm in the midwest and can go north or south 2 hours and hear different pronunciations of the same words.  There is nothing one can do to change it so we might as well just deal with it.  IMHO, it's not a big deal.