Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

The avarage size for women in the US today is size 16-18.  I don't know where the're getting their models lately but in my HOP they leave a lot to be desired. But then again it may not be the models but whoever is doing the styling.  Stuffing a size 2 or 3X model into a size Large or Extra Large is never a good look !  The only thing it's good for is a good laugh.  When the host says "Sally what size are you in?" and Sally (the model who looks like a 3X ) replys "Large"  It's always a good chuckle.  It may explain why their sales are going down. I think most people ( again my OP) would rather see what they want to look like not what they do look like.  "We" all have mirrors for that.  

@Silver Fox1 

The average size woman in the U.S. is a 12/14, which is usually a Medium with QVC's vanity sizing.

The one thing no one here knows is how well the larger sizes sell, in spite if all the complaining.  We just don't have sales information by size.  If they don't sell well, from a business perspective, QVC would be crazy to offer them.  

Sorry @Tinkrbl44 , I know the average size twenty to thirty years ago was size 12-14 but now it is size 16-18.  Look it up.  

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

The avarage size for women in the US today is size 16-18.  I don't know where the're getting their models lately but in my HOP they leave a lot to be desired. But then again it may not be the models but whoever is doing the styling.  Stuffing a size 2 or 3X model into a size Large or Extra Large is never a good look !  The only thing it's good for is a good laugh.  When the host says "Sally what size are you in?" and Sally (the model who looks like a 3X ) replys "Large"  It's always a good chuckle.  It may explain why their sales are going down. I think most people ( again my OP) would rather see what they want to look like not what they do look like.  "We" all have mirrors for that.  

@Silver Fox1 

The average size woman in the U.S. is a 12/14, which is usually a Medium with QVC's vanity sizing.

The one thing no one here knows is how well the larger sizes sell, in spite if all the complaining.  We just don't have sales information by size.  If they don't sell well, from a business perspective, QVC would be crazy to offer them.  

Sorry @Tinkrbl44 , I know the average size twenty to thirty years ago was size 12-14 but now it is size 16-18.  Look it up.  

@Silver Fox1 

So ... If the average size is now 16, more women are getting even fatter.   Sorry ...  I stand corrected.   

Honored Contributor

I am not an average size person and I very seldom see anyone built like me. 

I really don't care if anyone models clothing.  At my age, I know what styles I can wear and what will fit or not.

Plastic polyester clothing is not an option for me.  I won't buy it...period!

I only have purchased a few pieces from QVC and most of it fit.  

Regular Contributor

We'renot talking about the models you just mentioned,  we...

We'renot talking about the models you just mentioned,  we are talking about the xtra,etra,extra plus that are wearing 3-4 sizes topo small.

Valued Contributor

I do not find much in petite and extra small.  So to respond  ME I am one of the small people.  If not offered in petite..I don't even care to see fashions of any brand.

Valued Contributor

Re: Average size models

[ Edited ]

I don't mind having a variety of models, however, given QVC's vanity sizing, it may be inaccurate to say that the girls wearing "mediums" are "average," since a medium equals a large out in the traditional fashion world.  Yes, these models do probably represent the TRUE average, but then we are still lacking in this "medium" size range, (which is technically a size small) IMO. How often do we see QVC's models actually wearing a size small?  I can only think of one model, and she's adorable, but she's also petite. That works for me, but maybe not for others. I might be wrong since I rarely watch entire fashion shows on the Q anymore, I only watch product videos online.

I think the biggest issue that I have with the plus-size models as of late is that many of the photographs of garments ONLY feature plus size, and the clothes do hang differently on these models, as lovely as they are.  So, I confess, I find it challenging to imagine how something might fit me. I can only use my imagination so much, but ultimately, I need to see the clothing on another similarly proportioned human being if I can't try it on myself, in person.

Having said that, I'm happy the plus-size models are there and that all women of all sizes are getting the representation they have been lacking, all these years. I once wore a size 20 and lost weight down to a size 6-10, so I understand both sides. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I tend to agree with you @Islandqueen1, though I suspect I'm not supposed to say so. As with any group who right now is bemoaning being under-represented or 'marginalized', the powers that be, regardless of the industry, have over-reacted and gone too far the other way. It's now those in the mainstream, (and yes, a mainstream does still exist...) that are increasingly being under-represented. 

@stevieb    Mainstream is what has been established as the conventional norm -- not a definition of what should be the conventional norm.  Decades upon decades of retail or any industry showcasing a one-size/one-look ideal, was never a true reflection, and never the right thing to do, in my opinion.

If the past mere months of what some may call an over-reaction seems like lessening the percentage of representation of the formerly-defined mainstream (as it pertains to people), of course it is.  That's the whole idea.  Mainstream has a new definition; who's timetable of change makes the definition more palatable?   

Trusted Contributor

@Islandqueen1 wrote:

I am really getting tired of looking at women who do not portray the average size womna in the USA.  Either they' re too skinny or all plus models.  None of them look like WE  do.  I notice how badly these models look in the clothes and I do  NOT buy them.  Other people have to be complaining about it too, not just me.

Sheesh!  Who is WE?

Contributor

They have to show a broad spectrum of body types for a reason.  So, some of us can picture what a particular item might look  on our body type....hence the reason why many body types in models are  used.  It is just plain good advertising because we all are not skinny 6ft. tall models.

Example:  I like to watch shows where Adrian, Jackie and Bonnie are modeling because I tend to fall within their body type or size ranges.  And by the way, Bonnie is not 6ft. tall, she is 5'9 as is Jackie and Adrian.  I think it is great that they are inclusive as far as choosing models and different body types.  Let's face it, we are not all "super models" so we need to remember that.   

I think all of the Q's models are all very beautiful.