Esteemed Contributor

Re: All-Day theme programming -- blech!

I don't mind the theme days except if it becomes more like paid programming. Theme days make it easy for me to order what I need or get ideas. i don't watch that much but I do shop on line with a fw retailers.

I've noticed theme days on HSN as well so maybe this is the "new" efficientcy approach. It might be easier for the crews and vendors with this type of event. Who knows? They've kept some theme days and cancelled others.   

Frequent Contributor

Although I sometimes shop for QVC merchandise on the website, without watching TV, when I do I'm usually looking for a specific item or type of item and don't think to browse what's available in other product categories. On the other hand, I've lost count of the times when I've ordered items I wouldn't even have known existed if I hadn't stumbled upon them being presented during a QVC show. When programming features the same category of products all day, I'm less likely to tune in, so those "Hey, that item's cool. I want one." surprise moments don't happen. (Of course, that's better for my budget, but...)

And no, I don't have time to, nor would I want to, watch the Q for hours on end, even when they're showing items I like.

Respected Contributor

Despite one poster's insistence that QVC is not in the entertainment business, I would remind him/her of the interviews with the Q management team that reiterate the entertainment factor is an important element of their business plan. Bored viewers are not watching and likely not buying. Yes, Q makes sales with their infomercials, but they might increase sales if they had more variety during the day. To insinuate that people who want more variety are staring at the Q all day is nonsense. The program guide tells us all we need to know without ever turning on the TV.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

KyToby....I'm sure there are quite a few of us who wish you would find something to do besides follow posters from forum to forum just to chastise. I never see you comment about anything else.  Maybe you need a new hobby.

QVC Customer Care

Frequent Contributor

KYTOBY: Get off  your pedantic high horse already.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

Why not consider these theme days ass an opportunity to get up and stop watching television for a bit?  Some people enjoy them, and QVC does this programming e becaise it generates sales.

As for Vitamix, I would daresay as long as people buy tens of thousands of these expensive blenders whenever they are featured as TSVs, QVC will continue.

Despite what some peosters here believe, QVC is a retailer.  They exist to sell items -- not entertain us.

Now here's a thought, the two are NOT mutually exclusive... no matter how hard they try to make it so.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

Why not consider these theme days ass an opportunity to get up and stop watching television for a bit?  Some people enjoy them, and QVC does this programming e becaise it generates sales.

As for Vitamix, I would daresay as long as people buy tens of thousands of these expensive blenders whenever they are featured as TSVs, QVC will continue.

Despite what some peosters here believe, QVC is a retailer.  They exist to sell items -- not entertain us.

@KYToby, I find your neverending insistence that anyone who has any complaint about QVC's programming must of course sit around on the couch all day and never do anything else but watch the channel, 24/7, offensive. But yeah, I know, that's your schtick. 

Here's a novel thought - one can look at a program listing for the day - can even see it - gasp! - a day in advance, and take note of the entire day's programming - *without ever turning it on.* Imagine that.

They can then decide not to bother tuning in.  It's not a given that, because they see the same items listed as being sold for 24 hours and aren't thrilled, they were planning to sit and watch for 8 hrs straight. I would think that's obvious to most people, but true there are always exceptions.

As for the insinuation that anyone who has issues with QVC programming must rarely "get up and stop watching television for a bit" - well, I know you need to come up with ways to insult people, but seriously, how about something *new*? That one's so old and tired. Seriously.

@Moonchilde... Amen, sister...

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

Despite one poster's insistence that QVC is not in the entertainment business, I would remind him/her of the interviews with the Q management team that reiterate the entertainment factor is an important element of their business plan. Bored viewers are not watching and likely not buying. Yes, Q makes sales with their infomercials, but they might increase sales if they had more variety during the day. To insinuate that people who want more variety are staring at the Q all day is nonsense. The program guide tells us all we need to know without ever turning on the TV.

@SunValley... Hallelujah, another one who gets it !! Perfectly said...

Honored Contributor

I suspect the 'theme' days are easier and less costly for them to produce, involving fewer set changes, fewer vendors to bring in and so on... Nevermind that they bore many of us senseless... and that many of us never even turn them on... As for whether or not QVC is intended as entertainment, the point is moot. It's not. Any entertainment factor that might once have existed flew out that door when the programming became limited to incessent repetition of the same handful of brands and vendors and when the hosts all graduated with honors from the host academy, where they seemingly all learned to perfect the shrill, over-the-top, intrusive, nerve-wracking, frantic, frenzied, hard-sell hosting style...