Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2024!!!

Micah Parsons absent from the Cowboy's OTAs......Jerry Jones really knows how to alleniate his players.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Ladybug724 what's the status on Deshaun Watson? Hopefully, he will be fine this season; the Browns have a lot riding on him. 

I was surprised that they didn't keep Joe Flacco. I'm glad that he landed with the Colts, though.

@teganslaw He says he'll be gtg for the 1st week. Kudos to his medical team! 

As for Flacco, I and practically every Cleveland fan wanted him to stay. Why they decided to let him go is still a bit of a mystery. The saying is "Wacko for Flacco" and people still say it.

I'm guessing maybe it's because if they kept Joe around, then anytime DeShaun makes a bad play fans would start chanting for Joe and it would get in DeShaun's head. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PARedbird wrote:

@Spurt - thanks for the info on how they get the numbers for their poll on the teams.  Sounds like alot of whining to me.  

Again, gotta love Don Harris and his complete honesty on the Cowboys.  He must really get slammed on his social media posts from the die-hard fans that don't want to face reality.  Good ole' David.  That cracked me up calling him the Cowboy Homer.  LOL

I did just read something online - a sports article, that said their prediction is the Eagles and Cowboys will be equal in the division.  I forget the name of the place that wrote the article but if I see it again, I'll post the name.  I just rolled my eyes as of course everyone loves the Cowboys in the sports media world and think they do no wrong.  

@PARedbird 

Don hardly ever responds to his social media posts.  He answered my question on what other UTSA Roadrunner had been picked up  by the NFL......And in another post I mentioned I was a faithful viewer of Sports Overtime, and he replied the audience keeps growing and it has a stable "cult following"......Now David usually responds even if its negative against his cherished Cowboys....he's a good sport.....pardon the pun lol

Bearing no extensive roster injuries, I see your Eagles easily surpassing the Cowboys and winning the NFC East and going beyond in the playoffs 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Washington will have one joint practice with the Dolphins!

Esteemed Contributor

Rashee Rice has one less thing to worry about. The injured person in the alleged assault at a Dallas nightclub has signed an affidavit of non-prosecution, so charges were dropped. I don't know why the change, but maybe things didn't happen as it was first reported. He is working out and participating in OTAs but still could face suspension from the NFL. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @PARedbird @teganslaw 

Well the Eagles always need to keep a suitcase packed and ready to go!  As we all know they are headed to Brazil this fall.....The NFL has other countries in its sight, too, as the league seeks to continue to expand its influence internationally.....Australia is among the countries the NFL is scouting as a potential host for a future regular-season game. The league recently announced an NFL Academy will open on the Gold Coast in Australia in September.  Australia has a strong fan base and media partners, and the Eagles and Rams have global market rights there..........(anyone know why the Eagles/Rams are the ones that have rights there???)

The obvious problem with playing a game in Australia is the distance from the U.S. “When you start to talk about Asia, Pacific and Australia, you talk about distance and logistics and the football component of that,” Peter O’Reilly, head of the NFL's International Affairs said. “So, those factors are real. But our role is to really look at the globe, look at where the fan base is strong and do the diligence, make the evaluations.”

Spain is scheduled as a 2025 location. And Dublin, Ireland, also is under consideration by the NFL, as league officials began visiting potential hosts this summer.

Meanwhile games overseas means one less game in the U.S., and one less that American NFL fans can physically attend! Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Rashee Rice has one less thing to worry about. The injured person in the alleged assault at a Dallas nightclub has signed an affidavit of non-prosecution, so charges were dropped. I don't know why the change, but maybe things didn't happen as it was first reported. He is working out and participating in OTAs but still could face suspension from the NFL. 

@teganslaw 

Yes, it does make you wonder if the initial circumstances of the incident weren't accurately reported, OR whether a private settlement took place behind the scenes......hmmm 🤔

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Eagles have been active in Australia for a while. We have Jordan Mailata and Laekin Vakalahi on the roster, two former Australian rugby players. Vakalahi is likely to end up on the practice squad, but Mailata is a star. That helps the Eagles build a fanbase in Australia. 

I would expect any Australian game to be built around a bye to minimize the travel issues. Either have the game just before the bye, or just after the bye with the next game scheduled for a Monday night. That's a long, long trip.

Very little news emerging from the minicamp so far. Either the practices have been closed to local media or they've all fallen asleep. I'm guessing the practices have been closed so far. The Eagles want to keep everything top secret this year on their plans with the new coordinators. No hints on who's playing where, who the starters are, etc. Things are much quieter than I'd expected. No practice footage has emerged. Nothing. 

DeVante Parker's retirement now gives the Eagles two roster holes to fill. They're at an 88-man roster now. One spot opened up when La'Raven Clark ended up on IR and now Parker's retirement. Howie is likely working behind the scenes to find guys to fill those voids. A trade? Signing a veteran free agent? An undrafted kid? We'll have to see. The holes won't stay there for long. 

Lots of rumors of the Eagles looking to trade for a  WR, but I'm not sure there's a real need there. WR 1 and WR 2 are locked down. Parris Campbell is the front-runner for WR 3. We have a bunch of kids fighting for spots 4, 5, and maybe 6 including two draft picks. Ideally, you'd want WR 3 to be able to step up to WR 2 should there be an injury, so you want a good guy there and then a good WR 4  also. If the right guy were available at the right price, then yeah, I could see Howie making a move. I'm just not sure there's a real need there though.

Micah Parsons will reportedly show up next week for the Cowboys after making a little statement by sitting out week one of the OTAs. "It's not contract-related," says his agent. Uh, yeah. It is. It's always contract-related. Parsons wants to be and deserves to be the highest-paid defender. Until he is, he won't be happy. He's the closest thing the league has seen to Lawrence Taylor since Lawrence Taylor. The kid is special. And frustrated.

He's seen a lot of players leaving Dallas this offseason and despite JJ's "all-in" statements, they largely haven't been replaced with equal or superior talent. A lot of kids will be expected to step up and fill starting roles and the bust rate on kids is pretty high. Parsons has to decide how much he's willing to risk his health and football future in meaningless practices/activities without any real guaranteed money should things go wrong. 

CeeDee Lamb and Dak are in the same spots. How much risk are they willing to take? We'll find out come training camp. Without a new deal in place, all three may opt to avoid the full-contact football work. Lamb is avoiding the non-contact work now and Parsons avoided it the first week. Once the pads go on the risk of injury climbs even higher. JJ needs to pry open his wallet to make his guys happy or maybe move on from them.

Dak and Lamb are his immediate problems. Parsons still has a full year on his deal. Lamb could be franchise-tagged, but that will just annoy him more. And it's not like his price will go down. Dak can't be tagged and could be the first $60 million a year QB. If JJ doesn't come up with a deal for him before free agency starts, there will be ample bidders for Dak's services. The Saints, Raiders, Vikings, Jets (Rodgers can't play forever,) and Giants (assuming Daniel Jones doesn't rise like Lazarus) could all be in the market for a star QB with money to burn. Will they gamble on a kid in a QB-weak draft, or go for the proven vet in Dak? And more teams are likely to join that pool of QB-needy teams before the next offseason. 

JJ currently has no QBs signed for next year. None. Not any. Zero, zip, zilch. It's kind of an important position in the NFL. It's a position where you want some stability. Right now, the Cowboys don't have any and that's not making Parsons or Lamb feel any more comfortable. Parsons wants to win and you need a QB to win. Lamb needs someone to throw him the ball. JJ has managed to put him and his team in a pretty precarious spot. His three best players aren't happy. That's not where you want to be getting ready for a new season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I heard about Jordan Mailata.......Howie is just a master at evaluating talent no matter where a player is from.....shades of my Spurs RC Buford and international players he found for the team......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FUTURE SITES FOR NFL DRAFT:

2025 the Draft Host will be Green Bay

2026 it will be Pittsburgh 

The consensus is these are the Washington players to watch after signing FA's and the draft:

Everyone seems excited over LB Frankie Luvu and LB Bobby Wagoner best LBs the team has had in a long long time.......Wagoner is also a strong leader.

Jayden Daniels has displayed the talent the staff/coaches saw and now he has to prove it in a real NFL game setting.  In addition to his QB skills he has already shown his leadership in joint sessions with both rookies and veterans.

WR Luke McCaffrey at first appeared to be just a personal favorite of GM Adam Peters, his brother,Christian, is a star on Peters old team, and Peters knows the family well.  However, Luke has been impressive on his own merit, and a standout so far especially how quickly he learns and is adjusting to the NFL game, he shows savviness and quickness in his routes, he just has a special love for the game and the team sees him as having real potential. Also love how veteran Terry McLaurin is partnering with him as mentor.