Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for May 2024!!!

It's May! The roster building is largely complete now. A few players will get shuffled around a bit before training camp, but by and large, the roster you see now is what you'll have in camp.

We get the schedule release soon! The Eagles already know their first game but the rest are a mystery. The Packers will face us in Brazil on Friday, September  6th. That'll be a better matchup for the Eagles than the Packers as the Eagles will have a new OC and DC for the Packers to try and figure out. It's tough to gameplan for a team when you don't truly know what they'll be doing. In general, the Packers know what both coordinators have done in the past and can more or less plan for that, but both are likely to throw in some new wrinkles that the Packers will have to adjust to. 

The typical nerves rookies feel will be exacerbated by a national TV debut in Brazil. You may see both teams hold off on starting a kid in that circumstance to let things calm down a bit before they're thrown into the fire. A home game where the kids can be eased in might be safer.

No official word yet on the date of the schedule release, but it'll be the last big thing in the offseason schedule. We've had the Combine, free agency, and the draft. Next up is the schedule release, then the OTA activity ramps up a bit before everyone wanders off for the break before training camp.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2024!!!

Kudos to Jerry Jones on one thing, he didn't give Ezekiel Elliott a big contract. Maximum value of $3 million. Only $375,000 signing bonus.$1.25 million base. Three sets of incentives, all tied to the Cowboys making the playoffs. If Elliott gets 1100 yards rushing and the team makes the payoffs another $250,000 goes his way.  If Elliots is on the field for 51% of the snaps and the team makes the playoffs, he gets $500,000. If he scores ten touchdowns and the Cowboys make the playoffs, he gets another $250,000. Three million dollars max. And he probably won't reach the three million mark. Only the signing bonus and base salary are guaranteed, so only $1.625 million total guaranteed.

The incentives are a bit skewed. Elliott could set the league record for rushing yards, TDs, and be on the field for 100% of their offensive plays, but if they fell short of making the playoffs, he wouldn't get another dime. 

Making the NFC playoffs won't be the easiest thing in 2024. Winning the NFC East will be a challenge for the Cowboys. If they fail at that they'll need a wildcard slot. There are a lot of pretty good teams vying for those wildcard slots. All four NFC North teams could be in contention. The Lions and Packers lead the way, but if the Bears have the right QB (a really big if) they could contend. The Vikings, well, they need something of a miracle, but you never know. The NFC West is pretty solid top to bottom. The NFC South is a bit of a mess still and unlikely to produce a wildcard contender. Three wildcard teams will emerge from the scrum and one of them might not be the Cowboys despite whatever Elliott provides them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Thank you for the tip on Windows 11 and problems with the mouse.....I tried new batteries in my "ancient" mouse, that didn't work, and thought guess it's time for a new one, glad I waited and found out it was the "Bill Gates Gang" and they initiated a fix..So the problem was resolved...Whew! .

I wonder how much time we actually WASTE trying to figure out how to fix glitches versus how much time we actually SAVE with technology Woman Frustrated  I could share horror stories about my health insurance website issue's but I'll spare you and just say they don't believe in investing in technology, and if they charge a reasonable premium for the insurance it could mean they are skimping in other areas like technology....SMH!

The Schedule Release is always fun seeing the creativity some teams put in the presentation to the fans....of course there's always the cheap organizations that just post the schedule....lol.  RUMOR IS it might be May 9th based on past schedule reveals....so STAY TUNED!

P.S. Sending Holly hugs...Cat Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

With the folks on the oline that the Cowboys lost, and picking up players that are raw and "projects" I wonder if they are gonna be able to make the holes Elliott needs to meet his incentives......somehow I doubt it!!!!

IN THE NFC EAST--Most Washington fans are thinking maybe 7 or 8 wins...still need oline tackles, but with additions from FA and the draft and BETTER COACHES we should surpass our 4 wins from last yr.....The Eagles are best in the NFC East...although they will deal some transition with 9 new coaches... The Giants are in trouble as we both discussed in other posts........The Cowboys may struggle but MIGHT still land a wildcard spot IF THEY ARE LUCKY, based manly on Micah Parsons and the defense....then they will quickly fade and yet another first round and OUT! 

JMHO, Here's the possible Division Winners or Wild Cards (Seven contenders from each Conference).So putting the Eagles in the playoffs, the other NFC Division contenders will be---49ers, Lions, Packers, Rams, Bucs (Falcons or Seattle)---- The Cowboys would have to knock one of these teams out to make the cut....a difficult task......STAY TUNED!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

With games against the Giants (2), Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bears, Titans, and Cards, seven to eight wins seems doable for Washington. They'll probably win a game or two they shouldn't and lose a game or two they shouldn't. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts picked up DE Kwity Paye's fifth year option through 2025. He will make 13 million total. 

I wasn't sure what the team would do, but I'm glad that they're keeping Paye for awhile. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Before the draft, I was talking about how some players will sabotage their meetings and whatnot to try and get drafted by a team they like. I kind of wonder if Jeremiah Trotter Jr. didn't do something to that effect to try and be sure he got drafted by the Eagles. He didn't run a forty at the Combine then ran a reported 4.6-4.8 forty at his pro day. Other upper-tier linebackers were running 4.4-4.5, so did he ease off just a trifle to make himself less appealing to other teams? He plays fast but is smaller. By showing a slower than expected forty time, did he intentionally sabotage his chances of being picked by another team?

Brandin Cooks is doing something players aren't supposed to do and that's criticizing AJ Brown for being the highest-paid WR, saying he doesn't deserve it. As a player, and also a WR, you're supposed to be happy for the other guys who get paid knowing that their getting paid will lead to more money for you down the road. AJ is always pretty well motivated to play the Cowboys, but Cooks is just giving him a tick more motivation for their next matchup.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Well while most players may be happy to see fellow players get a pay raise, BUT remember most Dallas Cowboy players are self-centered and ego driven and care only about themselves, that's what makes them DALLAS COWBOYS! Woman LOL.( there might be a few exceptions but not many).....I'm glad that Cook is giving AJ extra motivation.....GO GET 'EM EAGLES!!!!

Speaking of the Cowboys, the headlines show that no criminal charges against Dak on that assault case, however, if you read the article it does say that the CIVIL case is still ongoing.....If it's a he said/she said situation it won't meet the criteria, there has to be a greater burden of proof and evidence in a CRIMINAL case, but in a civil case there's less of a burden to show a preponderance of the evidence, they just have to show it's more likely than not to have occurred.  (I watch Judge Judy...lol) Just like the OJ murder case, he was acquitted in the CRIMINAL case but found guilty in the CIVIL trial.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

One of the unwritten rules among players in the NFL is that you don't criticize another guy's contract. You use their contract to get more for yourself."I'm better than him, so I deserve more!" If you start saying a guy with better stats than you is overpaid, then your team is going to start looking at you like you're overpaid. "You have worse stats than him. Does that mean you're overpaid?"

It's just tacky, stupid stuff. CeeDee Lamb, Jaylen Waddle, and Justin Jefferson will use Brown's numbers as a floor in their negotiations. They'll all fly by him. (Or most will. Maybe not Waddle.) 

Guys like Aiyuk, Nico Collins, Tee Higgins, Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Hollywood Brown, Amari Cooper, and Keenan Allen, who will all need new deals before the 2025 season will use Browns' number as the floor in negotiations. That will be their starting point in new contract talks. "I want to be paid like Brown!" They won't say "Brown is overpaid! Don't pay me like that."

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The RFK MEMORIAL STADIUM CAMPUS REVITALIZATION ACT which would enter D.C. into a 99-year lease of the site, passed the House on a 348-55 vote awhile back, and will now head to the Senate probably this fall. “This bill is a win-win for the federal and D.C. governments,” said D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, who’s co-sponsoring the bill alongside Rep. James Comer, R-KY. Recently, APPROVAL has been given to demolish what is left of the old RFK stadium......But there's stiff opposition from Maryland they want the Senate to disapprove this bill and want a new stadium to remain in Maryland. Maryland has been the receiptient of millions of dollars by having Washington 's current stadium in their State..The State of Virginia has also expressed interest in having the stadium built there....STAY TUNED!