Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2021!!!

It looks like a couple rule changes will be happening in the NFL.

There will be advanced communication between booth replays and officials. The officials in New York can help correct plays that are clear on TV.  Owners and GMs are in favor of this.

Less restriction on uniform numbers. Wide receivers and linemen will be able to wear single digit numbers. This is popular with players.

They will vote on the rules next week, and most likely will be passed. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman

It sounds like they have set their sights on a specific player that might not be there at 12

Yeah, when they made the trade down it was with the assumption that the Falcons were taking Pitts and the Bengals were taking Chase. Now it looks like both of those assumptions may have been false assumptions, so moving back up to get one of those guys is on the table. Many now believe the Falcons will grab a QB (or trade the pick to someone who will) and the Bengals seem to be back on the Penei Sewell pick. That just leaves the Dolphins at six as a possible team to grab either Chase or Pitts. 

We're in that wacky part of the offseason where some are insisting the Eagles are taking a new QB in the draft and others are saying Hurts has a legitimate shot at being MVP. Uh, what? I like Hurts and think he should be given a chance to show what he can do, but any belief that he can surpass a Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, or insert name of really good QB here, as MVP in his second season is probably a bit far-fetched.

We know the finalists in the WFT name game! They include, Griffins, Swifts, Rising, Rubies, Pilots, Commanders, Renegades, Presidents, Wild Hogs, Capital City Football Club, Riders, Aviators, Ambassadors, Wizards, Armada, Wayfarers (you can already see the sunglasses promotion,) Aces, First City Football Club, Archers, Beacons, Belters, Redtails (I'm assuming the hawks and not the hemorrhoid sufferers), Razorbacks, Defenders, Anchors, Aviators (another sunglass tie-in), Brigade, Demon Cats (also known as Callie when I'm trying to trim her nails), Guardians, Icons, Majors, Presidents, Red Hogs, Red Wolves, Riders, Royals, WFT, Washington 32 FC, Washington Capital City Football Club, Washington DC Football Club, and the Monarchs. 

Okay then. It shouldn't be too hard to pick one name out of the group. I think we can pretty quickly rule out the very long names and the names that sound more like a soccer team. (Anything with "football club" or "FC" in it for example.) Aristocratic names like the Royals, Monarchs, Ambassadors, Commanders, Presidents, etc. are probably no-go names. Anchors? Who wants to be known as an anchor? Well, other than Brian Williams, but I was assuming they meant the other type of anchor. The stuck in the mud one that keeps a ship from wandering off. 

The PETA folk will likely object to anything with an animal name. I'm not sure how they'd feel about a Griffin. It's an animal but an imaginary one. Aces? Sounds like a tennis team. Beacons? That would certainly inspire fear in a competitor. (Not!) Defenders, Aviators, Archers all might connote more violence than is socially acceptable these days. Maybe they need a bigger list?

Oh well, at least the fans have options. Not very good options, but options all the same.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowBeetle 

Some of the nicknames for my WFT are pretty pathetic.....

I say we go with the Demon Cats and hire Callie as our mascot ....The fans can hold up clippers to make her hiss when the defense is trying to get a stop...😸

PB180009.JPG

Most fans favor the Red Wolves ..Peta will look the other way with a nice contribution from Mr. Snyder on behalf of conservation efforts since Red Wolves live in the area  And Peta hasn't attacked the other NFL animal mascots (YET)...I just love the thought of adopting Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" as our new fight song... Woman Very Happy

3ls14l433q521.jpg

I dont think Hogs would make it because bacon is bad for your cholesteral and health and Dr. Fauci would condemn it saying it contributes to obesity which makes people vunerable to the Co-Vid virus.....

360_F_378494224_bOkInjabNLZAWwfGonBEmzlYnqxKJCHk.jpg

There are rumors that Danny Boy is leaning towards keeping The Washington Football Team..... or changing it to The Washington Football Club ..... 👎👎👎

Julie Donaldson, the WFT VP Of Media & Content interviewed fromer Colt and Redskin Pierre Garcon....he said the name should go back to the team's history and he would chose The Hogs....he remembers those offensive lineman and a good oline is needed so the QB has time to get the ball to the WRs and also help the running back.....Asked what he's doing these days--Pierre said he's enjoying retirement and spending time with his family in Florida....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw  @yellowBeetle 

Remember Emily Litella on Saturday Night Live (as played by Gilda Radner) ......she was fond of saying "NEVER MIND" and it appears that is now the case in the Aaron Donald previously reported "assault"..The accuser is now saying the whole thing was a mistake.....🙄.

You HATED him as a sports announcer and now you get a chance to HATE him on Jeopardy.....Joe Buck is the latest to throw his hat into the ring for Alex Trebeck's old job....😫 But as many sport's fans have said, at least we wouldnt have to watch him in the broadcast booth anymore if he got the Jeopardy gig full time....😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowBeetle 

Some of the nicknames for my WFT are pretty pathetic.....

I say we go with the Demon Cats and hire Callie as our mascot ....The fans can hold up clippers to make her hiss when the defense is trying to get a stop...😸

PB180009.JPG

Most fans favor the Red Wolves ..Peta will look the other way with a nice contribution from Mr. Snyder on behalf of conservation efforts since Red Wolves live in the area  And Peta hasn't attacked the other NFL animal mascots (YET)...I just love the thought of adopting Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" as our new fight song... Woman Very Happy

3ls14l433q521.jpg

I dont think Hogs would make it because it's bad for your cholesteral and health and Dr. Fauci would condemn it saying it contributes to obesity which makes people vunerable to the Co-Vid virus.....

360_F_378494224_bOkInjabNLZAWwfGonBEmzlYnqxKJCHk.jpg

There are rumors that Danny Boy is leaning towards keeping The Washington Football Team..... or changing it to The Washington Football Club ..... 👎👎👎

Julie Donaldson, the WFT VP Of Media & Content interviewed fromer Colt and Redskin Pierre Garcon....he said the name should go back to the team's history and he would chose The Hogs....he remembers those offensive lineman and a good oline is needed so the QB has time to get the ball to the WRs and also help the running back.....Asked what he's doing these days--Pierre said he's enjoying retirement and spending time with his family in Florida....

@Spurt  Great post....so funny!!😉😉

If Danny Boy favors the Washington Football Team ... or Club😨 ... then it seems likely that one of those will be it!😉 I have sort of gotten used to the WFT...but do not like the Club idea at all.👎 

I like the Demon Cats! (Although someone on a show laughingly pointed out that the "DC" connection is not technically true anymore since the team is headquartered and practices in Ashburn, VA and plays in Landover, MD!😉) Also think the Red Wolves would work. And I lived in the Washington area back in the days of the Hogs and the wonderful fans who dressed up as the Hogettes, so that has sentimental value...although you have a point about the likely health criticism from Dr. F!😉

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Remember Emily Litella on Saturday Night Live (as played by Gilda Radner) ......she was fond of saying "NEVER MIND" and it appears that is now the case in the Aaron Donald previously reported "assault"..The accuser is now saying the whole thing was a mistake.....🙄.

You HATED him as a sports announcer and now you get a chance to HATE him on Jeopardy.....Joe Buck is the latest to throw his hat into the ring for Alex Trebeck's old job....😫 But as many sport's fans have said, at least we wouldnt have to watch him in the broadcast booth anymore if he got the Jeopardy gig full time....😄

@Spurt 

The only thing I would like about the Joe Buck idea is his voice. But other than that I just do not see it!😉

I am already missing Aaron Rodgers!😉 Of the ones who have already hosted and the ones scheduled to host, my hope is that either Rodgers or Ken Jennings gets the gig permanently!😊

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Spurt 

The only thing I would like about the Joe Buck idea is his voice. But other than that I just do not see it!😉

I am already missing Aaron Rodgers!😉 Of the ones who have already hosted and the ones scheduled to host, my hope is that either Rodgers or Ken Jennings gets the gig permanently!😊

@yellowBeetle 

Yep, Im with you....I'd go with Jennings or Rodgers as Jeopardy host.....

Honored Contributor

It would be interesting to see how long Aaron Rodgers would last as the host. Filming five episodes a day gets a bit tedious. They currently just film two days a week over a 23 week season for 46 weeks of episodes a year. His first go-round as host was essentially just two days of work. They need the days between shooting to prepare new questions, verify the answers, and edit the footage already shot. 

That 23-week shooting schedule combined with the NFL training camp, preseason, the 18 week/17 game regular season, and the playoffs, doesn't leave a lot of free time. 

More and more mock drafts now have the WFT moving up to take a QB along with the Patriots. Eh, I don't know. I don't think they'd mind getting a good young QB, but the cost to move up from 19 (or 15 in the case of the Patriots) is pretty high. They'd pretty much have to claw their way to the top ten to get a QB.

The WFT at nineteen find themselves in that awkward position where the top five guys won't be there and the sixth guy is probably not a top nineteen player, but he and the next few QBs (the Monds, Trasks, Mills, etc.) are likely gone before you draft in the second round at nineteen unless you move up in the second round which could end up costing quite a bit also. Do you reach for a guy with pick nineteen just to be sure you get him without having to pay a lot on day two to get him? Having that fifth-year option on a rookie QB can be a big money saver.

Do you trade back and hope to swoop up the kid you want near the end of the first round and get an extra later-round pick in the process? If the WFT really wants a young QB, I suspect we'll see them trade back and grab a Mond/Trask/Mills type later in the first if they can find a willing trade partner.

With the Bears lurking behind them at twenty and also needing a QB, can you afford to move back? And there's nothing to say the Steelers and Saints won't be looking to grab a kid QB. That fifth-year option will have a lot of teams looking at what's left of the QB pool towards the end of the first round. It'll be interesting to see where all of the QBs end up going. 

Most of the mock drafts now have a receiver of some sort falling to the Eagles at 12. I think they're right that a kid will be there. Will the Eagles take him? I don't know. Cornerback still feels like a bigger need. And I wouldn't rule out any position. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind Joe Buck, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch him on Jeopardy, either.  I think Tony Romo would make a good host for the show. 

So is the case against Aaron Donald dropped? I hadn't heard the latest. 

Another woman came forward, so it's back up to 22 complaints against DeShaun Watson.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't mind Joe Buck, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch him on Jeopardy, either.  I think Tony Romo would make a good host for the show. 

So is the case against Aaron Donald dropped? I hadn't heard the latest. 

Another woman came forward, so it's back up to 22 complaints against DeShaun Watson.

@teganslaw 

Here's the scoop about the Donald case---

by Michael David Smith April 17, 2021--

The man who accused Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald of assault is now apologizing to Donald, saying he was mistaken about who injured him in a fight early Sunday morning.  

“I wanted to make this statement public. And to extend an apology to Aaron for what he’s gone through, but I clearly know this was not him,” Spriggs’ attorney, Todd Hollis, said in a statement to KDKA.

Donald’s attorney says that it was Spriggs who started the fight by swinging a bottle at Donald, causing others to jump on Spriggs, and that Donald actually saved Spriggs by breaking up the fight.