Respected Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on this handbag etiquette!

On 12/28/2014 tori said:
On 12/28/2014 PurpleBunny said:
On 12/27/2014 tori said: As a regional manager for a large retail chain, I would say it depends on what your store's return policy is and whether or not she had a receipt if required by that policy. In my 30+ years in retail management, I have taken back myself or authorized someone to take back many items that were not perfectly "new". It's sometimes the price we choose to pay for customer loyalty.
You can take them back, I just hope you don't then sell them to someone else as "new."
Nope...goes into the damaged bin, which are then either discarded or donated.
Whew. Good to know. I hope all retailers are as honest.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Aside from all of this --- what was she planning to tell her MIL when her MIL noticed the bag she had given her as a gift was a different color than the one she bought for her??

DD worked at a popular lingerie store during hs and college. She couldn't believe how nervy some people were when it came to returns. The worst thing she experienced was when someone returned obviously WORN underwear saying they didn't fit!! DD said there was no way she would touch them. She called her manager who told her (DD) to give her a refund! UGH - GROSS!

Super Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Q2girl said: You must work at Macy's. Worst customer service in my opinion. I used to work there. Take the bag back.
I think Macy's has the best customer service. I have never had a problem returning anything and they usually have the receipt on file if I dont. They also show all the available coupons I have when I make an in store purchase using my card. I was discussing Tignanello bags with the woman at the counter ine day and said how much trouble inhad with the interior linings soming apart. She told me if Inourchased the bag there, to cut the tags off and keep them inside one of the zippered pockets in then bag and if they lining came apart they would exchange it for a new bag. You cant get much better cs than that. And no, i do not return used items as new.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Desertdi said:

It's probably an urban legend......but I have heard that Nordstroms "took back" a set of tires once.............

Well if it is an Urban legend, I studied about it in grad school. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I did a whole case study on this one and a lot of Nordies customer service practices are "legendary" Love that store. Oh, by the way, they are having a big sale right now.

Trusted Contributor

I used to work at JCP in the late 80's and we had people bring in obviously used merchandise we were told to always take it back (customer is always right). Heard someone actually returned well-worn bras once. And if they still had the receipt, no matter if it was 10 years old they would take it back. I worked in jewelry and there was a woman who would return items that looked like she took a hammer to them.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

In most department stores, you can return used merchandise. At Nordstrom, you don't even need proof of purchase. Most stores do require some proof but may make an exception.

IMO, the fact that she was carrying the bag is irrelevant. It's no different than if she had brought it back in the conventional way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have worked in retail too. If the lady didn't have a receipt or you don't know whether her MIL bought it from this store, then the customer isn't right.

She should tell her MIL that she wanted a different color and ask if she could have the receipt to exchange the handbag.

Contributor

I worked in retail for several years while in school. This story does not surprise me in the least.

Contributor

I absolutely love this story! This is sitcom worthy. Thanks for sharing it.

Contributor

I purchased a handbag at Macy's and several months later when I went to use it, I discovered a $20.00 bill in the zippered compartment. Guess someone had used it.

I received a tignanello QVC bag once with makeup inside the zippered compartment. Although I have never done this myself, I believe women do frequently test out a handbag by using it for a day or more. Unfortunately the rest of us pay for this habit in higher prices.