Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on this handbag etiquette!

I am never surprised by the expectations of others.
Trusted Contributor

Ridiculous, but it's amazing what people will feel entitled to and try to get away with. Unfortunately, this woman probably will remove her stuff and try to return the bag (to your store or another store as a "new" return. And she will probably get away with it.

Honored Contributor

On a different matter, I knew someone who bought spices to use for holiday cooking, and would then return them later, Unbelievable.
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Q2girl said: You must work at Macy's. Worst customer service in my opinion. I used to work there. Take the bag back.

Yeah because YOU just can't wait to buy the one she is carrying her old used kleenex in , right. GROSS. Oh yeah , for full price as a new bag.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/28/2014 Q2girl said: You must work at Macy's. Worst customer service in my opinion. I used to work there. Take the bag back.

Yeah because YOU just can't wait to buy the one she is carrying her old used kleenex in , right. GROSS. Oh yeah , for full price as a new bag.

No, no Macy's here! Large anchor store though!

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 tori said: As a regional manager for a large retail chain, I would say it depends on what your store's return policy is and whether or not she had a receipt if required by that policy. In my 30+ years in retail management, I have taken back myself or authorized someone to take back many items that were not perfectly "new". It's sometimes the price we choose to pay for customer loyalty.
You can take them back, I just hope you don't then sell them to someone else as "new."
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

There is an epidemic of narcissistic personality disorder. I think that affects the retail environment.

Honored Contributor

She's just a very silly, if you are in retail, you have to expect weird people like that. She handled it all wrong. She should have gone home, emptied the bag, put it back in the original packaging along with the dust cover and asked to exchange the bag. Im assuming she had the sales slip or proof of purchase. Under those circumstances, I'm sure most stores would have gladly made the exchange.
Honored Contributor

Unless the store policy states you can take back bags without a receipt, there wasn't much more that could be done. If she came back the next day with a receipt, she should get an exchange.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/28/2014 PurpleBunny said:
On 12/27/2014 tori said: As a regional manager for a large retail chain, I would say it depends on what your store's return policy is and whether or not she had a receipt if required by that policy. In my 30+ years in retail management, I have taken back myself or authorized someone to take back many items that were not perfectly "new". It's sometimes the price we choose to pay for customer loyalty.
You can take them back, I just hope you don't then sell them to someone else as "new."
Nope...goes into the damaged bin, which are then either discarded or donated.