Respected Contributor

Washable Sketchers

[ Edited ]

I've been washing my Sketchers for years, although not specifically stated that they could be washed.  They are canvas, so I saw no harm in washing them.  They've always turned out fine.  Just let them air dry.

My question is, what makes the Sketchers that are being advertised as washable different from the old Sketchers?  Are they not canvas?

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama. I've been washing sneakers for ages.  Put them in the machine and dry them in the sun.  To me, this is just a new gimmick to sell more shoes.   I wash all of mine, except leather, and they come out just fine.  And, yes, I do make sure the insoles are positioned correctly before they dry.

Respected Contributor

Yep, me too.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember when I first heard about the sketcher washable shoes last year. I thought the same thing. I wash all of my tennis shoes including sketches. I place them in the washing machine for washing, and I let them air dry. 

Respected Contributor

I have always washed all of my non leather skechers, I'm assuming the company found out we were all doing this so decided to use this as an advertising gimmick.

Trusted Contributor

i'm thinking that maybe not everyone realized that they could throw their skechers in the washing machine and it will stand up to that kind of washing, therefore they started calling it that. 

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama  I've been tossing our skechers in the washer, hanging to dry since we discovered them. They always come out looking brand new, smiling good too!  We don't even own any in canvas, mostly other fabrics. 

I thought it odd that all of a sudden they advertise skechers as 'washable' now. They always have been. I throw my keds in the washer too, always have. I don't know what the bid deal is now.

Honored Contributor

I have never washed any of my shoes and can't imagine doing so.   This does seem to be a new marketing strategy, so many shoes are advertised as "washable."  Certainly does not get me to buy.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the newer "washable" ones are made of lighter materials, not canvas which would take much longer to air dry.   I have several pairs of Go Walks and they are great for vacations.  Comfy and convenient to wash when I return home.  Come out beautiful. 

Trusted Contributor

I have also been washing sneakers for many years for both myself and my DH.  I even washed those Reebok white sneakers everyone had back in the day. 

I think the current trend of advertising shoes as washable is a result of the pandemic.  So many people became obsessed with sanitation at that time.