Respected Contributor

I agree that SAS shoes are excellent.  I taught school for 33 years and discovered those shoes about half way through my career.  After I started wearing them, that's all I wanted.  Now, you may not be in the age category that it suggests, but they do have several styles that are approved by Medicare.  Check out the features of those particular shoes for comfort.  They do have a good on-line catalog.  Many of their shoes are still made in San Antonio, Texas.  You can find that category,"Made in USA," on their website

Honored Contributor

@LurkyLoo.  I'm tickled pink that youre thrilled with the shoes.  It's such a blessing to find relief for foot pain.  I get ads all the time from shoeline.com when the have NurseMates on sale.  Also watch for them on Zulily.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When I had severe arthritis in one foot I wanted to hold off on surgery and the podiatrist gave me a foot & ankle brace to use, esp. at work. However, despite the brace my ankle was too painful so I had to have the surgery.Glad I had the operation, despite a long recovery time and several months in a wheelchair. That ankle is now very stable, but I have to admit , it's sometimes still painful.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, I know a lot about bad feet - born with a club foot , and spending my entire career as a bedside nurse - I have fought the battle with my feet my whole life. I can tell you absolutely, good shoes are the most important thing. Just because a shoe is soft and comfortable does not mean it is good for you. SAS shoes and Clarks cloudsteppers shoes do not offer any support to your feet, and a shoe that does not have arch support is a bad idea . You will fall and if you hurt yourself - you could be starting down a long road to recovery. Last summer I was running around in the middle of the night closing windows and doors because a bad storm had blown up. I was barefoot. I stepped out onto a staircase to grab a door that was open and I slipped and fell down that whole staircase. That was June 2017 and I'm still getting recovered from it.Don't let this happen to you. This fall was a warning to me and I am paying attention! I had broken ribs and a cracked vertabrae - It could have been much worse. People die after falls due to pneumoina and clots etc.Your podiatrist should be advising you about proper shoes.

Honored Contributor

My mom will be 84 in march ,she has osteoporosis,  pretty bad, her knee and ankles hurt her a lot , plus she has very bad  spider veins, from standing on hard floors working in a factory for 30 years.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions for good shoes.  I am also looking toward orthotic inserts.  Any recommendations?  Thanks again

Honored Contributor

OP,  I'm sorry to hear this.

I had bone on bone in one knee and suffered with it for several years.  I broke one leg/ankle in 5 places and fractured the other ankle. I now have bad arthritis in my ankles.  While dealing with these, I started wearing Ecco shoes.  They saved me.  I finally had my knee replaced and it's the best thing I ever did.  And I've stayed with Ecco.  They are pricey but shoesdotcom will often have promotions that reduce the cost.   And they last a lot longer than any other brand I've worn.

I am retired now but work parttime in customer service at a grocery store so I'm on my feet the whole shifts.   I would not dream of wearing any shoe except Ecco. I rarely have any foot, ankle or knee pain when wearing them.

Honored Contributor

The most comfortable sandals i have are SAS, i also like abeo from the walking company.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The most comfortable sandals i have are SAS, i also like abeo from the walking company.

@goldensrbest, I can't speak to Abeo shoes, but they make excellent orthotics. They are expensive but well worth it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

A lot of good info and resources from you ladies here. I thank you all! ❤️

@151949, you really have lived with troublesome and painful feet all your life. Sorry about that, and the terrible fall resulting in injuries! I live with the constant fear of falling due to my mobility issues- you are kind to warn us. I know of another poster here who recently fell due to the soles of her shoes being too grippy. They stuck to a hard floor, causing her to fall forward and break her shoulder on one side, and her knee on the other side. Some shoes are too grippy and some are too slick. Yet another thing to consider. 

@Kachina624, wanted to let you know that my breathable, slip-on sneakers, Faxon by NurseMates of their Align collection arrived! Very comfortable and I think they're cute: 

image.jpg

They also come in bolder shades, or plain white. So easy for me to get on and off, too. Now I'm all set for the seasons. 

I wish I could find the Align insole inserts to put in my rain boots. Do they sell them any where? I just joined Zulily a couple of weeks ago- thank you for mentioning that they sell NurseMates. I'll keep an eye out for sales there. 

Bless you, @CalminHeart. Glad you found the Ecco shoes that work so well for you. I hope @Three meezers finds a solution soon, too. Be it professional ortho inserts or a shoe brand. It's pure misery and a real risk to wear unsupportive shoes, especially while working all day. Can lead to ankle, knee and back troubles. A good fit is vital, too. 

Happy shopping, ladies!