Respected Contributor

You may need a custom orthotic to support your feet and keep them in proper alignment.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor
I second the Walking Company. The sales associates usually are very helpful in helping u select the right shoe for your specific problems.
Esteemed Contributor

Have u ever had acupuncture? Many years ago, I had a throbbing pain at the bottom of my right foot and had acupuncture -- and the pain never returned.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Painful feet....

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mother had arthritis in both feet and was constantly under the care of a podiatrist.  She discovered a pedorthist, an expert in shoe fitting, at a local comfort fit shoe store.  This person made custom orthodics out of a styrofoam sort of material which she heated and molded in a toaster oven.  It sounds riduculous but they were a godsend for her.  She was fitted with a refined althletic type of super supportive shoe.

You will not get get good support in anything less than an oxford type of shoe that supports the entire foot, not just cushions it.   I've tried all the brands mentioned above for my own foot problems and know none offer true whole-foot support.  They are too cushioned or too soft to be truly supportive.  A shoe that is soft and pliable is not supportive.  I do wear an enclosed Alegria shoe and I prefer a shoe with a mild arch support for extreme pronation in one foot.  A Vionic or Birki arch support is too hard and high and is painful.

What about the Earth brand shoes, @Kachina624? Have you tried those yet? 

I have advanced RA all over, including in my feet- with the over-pronation, too. Looking for some variety in an enclosed shoe for fall and winter. I can wear the soft insoles Birks and Alegrias. Vionics are too hard for me, too. Earth has a lot of different styles I like, but I've not tried them yet. Just hate having to return anything. I typically wear size 8W. 

Good luck to you, @Three meezers- I know it's so hard having to be on your painful feet all day. For me, the Alegria brand is more comfortable overall than the Birks that I mainly wear around the house. (I'm retired- couldn’t have worn those to work.) Many nurses wear Alegria FWIW. You may check their Pro line out. Those are more supportive than their regular fashion line. 

Honored Contributor

@LurkyLoo. I have not tried Earth Brand shoes.  One of my favorites is NurseMate shoes which have a wonderfully supportive footbed and come in some attractive styles.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @Kachina624! I never thought to search Nurse Mates for different styles. Went to Zappos, where I more so trust reviews about sizing, etc. to be informative. You're right! Quite a few varieties there. (More than QVC offers.) I love the Ceri style for my needs, and was happy to find they are available in my size- at a great price. Can’t wait to get them and try them on. 

Honored Contributor

@LurkyLoo.  Let me know how you like the NurseMates after you get them.  They've been a Godsend to me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Be sure and check 6pm,for brand name shoes,they have many brands.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have bad feet and ankles.  I had to get orthotics from the doctor.  I hate them but they do help a lot.  I also wear very structured sneakers.  It's not something I love but the pain is worse.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@LurkyLoo.  Let me know how you like the NurseMates after you get them.  They've been a Godsend to me.

They arrived, @Kachina624 and I've been wearing them all day. The fit is perfect and true to size in width and length. Of course they were a little hard for me to get on the first time, but they're adjusting now. I feel supported walking- the little walking I can do, and no pain at all from the arch or heel! There is sufficient padding to offset the firm support. No rubbing or pinching either.

I can can certainly see why nurses would choose this brand. I will buy more and since the summer styles are now on sale, I will get a pair of the breathable, slip on sneakers from the Align selections. Can’t thank you enough for the recommendation! ❤️ I know several others here in my retirement community who will also benefit, so I will spread the word. 

Wanted to mention to @Three meezers; if you are interested in NurseMates.. search their website (or Zappos) to learn which styles have the extra-supportive “Align” system built in. Since you are on your feet so much, those may help you the most. 

@AngelPuppy1, I may require a custom ortho insole soon, too. We are lucky, though, that so many nice shoes will accommodate them, as they come with removable insoles. Thank you for your input. 😊