Regular Contributor
I have always worn Birkenstock but came across the Betula brand but someone told me it wasn’t a Birkenstock company. I wasn’t sure if there was a difference between the sizing or quality. I usually wear a 38 in Birkenstock’s but wasn’t sure if I should order a different sizing with the Betula brand. Thanks
Respected Contributor

I have several pairs of Betula.  I bought them years ago though.  I find the fit to be identical to Birkenstock.  If I remember correctly, one of the Birkenstock guys branched off and started Betula.  

The newer ones may be different now.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Re: Birkenstock vs Betula

[ Edited ]

@jjb wrote:
I have always worn Birkenstock but came across the Betula brand but someone told me it wasn’t a Birkenstock company. I wasn’t sure if there was a difference between the sizing or quality. I usually wear a 38 in Birkenstock’s but wasn’t sure if I should order a different sizing with the Betula brand. Thanks

All it took was simply asking the question on Google and much faster:

In the past, Birkenstock has made sub-collections of its sandals, including Betula, Papillio, and Footprints. These brands are all part of the Birkenstock family, and share the same contoured, natural cork and latex footbed design. The only difference tends to be the material and style chosen for the uppers.

Honored Contributor

Betula vs Birkenstock

By Theydiffer - June 27, 2015

Have you ever bought Birkenstock or Betula shoes? Well, you might have realized that Birkenstocks and Betulas have similarities. As they are so cute, you might be wondering if they are from the same company. This article gives you the differences between the two.

Definitions

Betula, being a brand within the Birkenstock company, was primarily established with a focus on providing affordable footwear in a wide range of styles and colors. Chiefly pioneered by Christian Birkenstock in 1994, Betula shoe models feature the Birkenstock contoured foot bed, explaining the inclusive matches between the two brands.

Though the two brands are similar, there are slight differences you should be aware of.

Comparison chart

BirkenstockBetula
Expensive (from $40-$210)Less expensive (from $30-$80)
Limited availabilityEasily available
Are traditionally-made with a wide variety of sandalsFeatures traditional, trendy and modern styles with fewer varieties.
Made of high quality materialsMade of cheaper materials

What is the difference between Betula and Birkenstock?

• With Birkenstock being the parent company to Betula, age is an obvious difference between the two brands. While the Birkenstock brand was started in Germany by the shoemaker Johann Adam Birkenstock in 1774, Betula was created as a subsidary of Birkenstock by Christian Birkenstock in 1994.
  • Even though all the Birkenstock shoe models have a Betula counterpart, what  Birkenstock offers mainly is a wide variety of classic sandals, clogs and shoes artistically made with tradition in mind. Betula, on the other hand, features both traditional styles from the parent company and trendy modern styles.
  • Quality is another differing factor between the two brands. While Birkenstock offers shoe customization with three therapeutically prepared insoles, Betula does not have these offers because they are costly to produce.
  • Quality and price goes in hand, thus, price is another great difference between the two. Because of the high quality materials that Birkenstock uses to create their shoes, they are expensive compared to their counterparts. Birkenstock uses authentic suede in the straps and their prices range from $40-$210, while Betula, because of affordability, uses cheaper faux-suede materials. Their prices range from $30-$80 based on your choices.
  • Even though both Birkenstock and Betula shoe models feature in many online stores, Birkenstock models are said to be less available compared to Betula ones. Birkenstock footwear is only found in recognized Birkenstock stores, some independent shoe stores and selected department stores. On the other hand, Betula brand shoes are sold in various retail stores.

And if I remember correctly, Betula are not made in Germany

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Betula sandals are great. It's important to know that the footbed...the most important part..is the same. The uppers will be synthetic, which I actually prefer. I wear a 38, too, and order a 38 in both.

Respected Contributor

My Betula are elderly, probably 15 years or so.........  They are marked Made in Germany

They made be made elsewhere now.  I have several pairs and I think I bought most of them from HSN.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I love my Betulas. HSN used to sell them. Many more colors than Birkenstock.

Honored Contributor

I love Burkenstocks and have been wearing them for about 40  years.

I bought a pair of Betula's that were more fashionable.  I got many compliments on them, but They gave me blisters across my toes. They seemed to run a tad smaller too. I now stick with only Birkenstocks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been 10 years or so but back when I wore Birkenstocks, I was a solid 6. On in QVC, that was a 36 but on HSN it was 37. Betulas were huge on me. They were wider too. QVC used BirkoFlor, Betulas were leather, although it was a low grade.