Super Contributor

Re: A vinyl coated cotton bag for $215? A nylon bag for $150?? Really??

LV coated canvas and Prada nylon bags are sold everyday around the world, so I guess hundreds of thousands of women are not so smart. However, many women buy these handbags with self earned income, so they must be smart enough to afford it in the first place.
Regular Contributor

I have no problem with 139.00 for a D&B bag if it has the pockets, design and color I want.

I trust the name, and love the quality. Have had D&B bags in Nylon and canvas for many years and they still look new every spring and summer.

I wear D&B leathers in the fall and winter, but want a lighter weight bag in the summer.

I don't think for the quality of the bags the price is out of line when I look at

Michael Kors, Vera Bradley and others in those materials. Usually not made as well.

Respected Contributor

If you want to spend it, why not. Has nothing to do with "smarts."

Super Contributor

dooney didn't make anything but pebble leather forma long time...i was surprised when they started with the fabric bags, but i think it is a great way to make Dooneys accessible to ladies who can't afford the leather. they are worth it for sure.

Regular Contributor

On 3/3/2014 Susan Louise said:

I have about 15 D&B handbags/totes/satchels/etc.

I only paid full price for one coated cotton bag (A216244...I got the black...QVC is the only place it is available). I LOVE the bag...worth every penny and MORE to me!

ALL of all my other coated cotton and nylon bags I averaged about 30-40+ % off plus FREE S&H and no taxes. I look for the deals. I even got 2 Florentine leather bags for 40% off!!!

My newest purchase is a D&B signature DB75 multi satchel I should be getting any day now. I got it at Boscov's for 15% off...FREE S&H and NO taxes...

Buy what makes YOU happy {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Very interesting thread...Susan Louise, where do you go to get 40% off of Florentine leather bags....most of the bags I see at TJM or Marshalls are the cotton coated variety...I understand the comparison between these and the higher prices of LV but for that much $ I would prefer leather personally...TIA!

judy

Regular Contributor

LV experts...just saw a "replica LV" bag pic on the internet...is "replica" code for "knockoff"??? Again, thanks for your help!!!

Contributor

On 3/3/2014 SnuggleBunny said:

Really? Come on! Women are smarter than that!! Aren't they?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I realize I haven't been here very long and am probably going to make myself very unpopular right now, BUT the absolute audacity of some posters and the down right mean, catty, smug, and degrading number of comments I have seen on this site has astounded me. Sometimes it's like being back in the school yard. Is it really necessary to insult an offend other women just to make yourself feel superior might I suggest that you might want to evaluate your own sense of self worth.

I would have thought that the point of these forums was to support and empower other women. If what you buy makes you happy (and you can comfortably afford it) NO ONE has the right to publicly scorn you for your choice. OK, it's their choice not to buy something you have purchased, but that's why variety exists in the world.

Super Contributor

I would spend $60 on a Vera Bradley but not $150 on a cloth Coach or Dooney. Not only do I feel that is a rip off, but after a short amount of time these bags look pretty bad. They appear dirty and lose their shape. All of these bags that I have seen people carry look like they should be put in a dumpster after a very short amount of time. I don't feel that they wear very well or retain their shape and original appearance for very long.

Respected Contributor

You can't compare that with coated cotton/canvas. Totally different thing from plain fabric bags that you can treat with Scotchguard. The plain fabric bags were out much more quickly and those I don't buy unless there is a serious reduction. The fabric bags were meant for spring/summer pieces and to make the brands more accessible.

Respected Contributor

Apparently, a lot of people have enough money to pay these prices in a society where so many seem to be out of work. That's good news for the economy; even if I had the money I couldn't bring myself to pay these kind of prices as it doesn't matter to me about having a designer name on the label. But that's just me; to each their own with the way they choose to spend their money.