Regular Contributor

A vinyl coated cotton bag for $215? A nylon bag for $150?? Really??

Really? Come on! Women are smarter than that!! Aren't they?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: A vinyl coated cotton bag for $215? A nylon bag for $150?? Really??

I have about 15 D&B handbags/totes/satchels/etc.

I only paid full price for one coated cotton bag (A216244...I got the black...QVC is the only place it is available). I LOVE the bag...worth every penny and MORE to me!

ALL of all my other coated cotton and nylon bags I averaged about 30-40+ % off plus FREE S&H and no taxes. I look for the deals. I even got 2 Florentine leather bags for 40% off!!!

My newest purchase is a D&B signature DB75 multi satchel I should be getting any day now. I got it at Boscov's for 15% off...FREE S&H and NO taxes...

Buy what makes YOU happy

Honored Contributor

I have a LV Speedy 350 that is mostly canvas and cost $650 12 years ago.

It's a classic...these bags on sale today are not...but if you want it and can afford it, why not?

Regular Contributor

On 3/3/2014 Susan Louise said:

I have about 15 D&B handbags/totes/satchels/etc.

I only paid full price for one coated cotton bag (A216244...I got the black...QVC is the only place it is available). I LOVE the bag...worth every penny and MORE to me!

ALL of all my other coated cotton and nylon bags I averaged about 30-40+ % off plus FREE S&H and no taxes. I look for the deals. I even got 2 Florentine leather bags for 40% off!!!

My newest purchase is a D&B signature DB75 multi satchel I should be getting any day now. I got it at Boscov's for 15% off...FREE S&H and NO taxes...

Buy what makes YOU happy

Regular Contributor

On 3/3/2014 terrier3 said:

It's a classic...these bags on sale today are not...but if you want it and can afford it, why not?

I think they are nice to look at and I can afford it - I'm just not sure if I want to pay a minimal price for materials and the balance for the name. I think in a lot of cases it's the name they are selling which really doesn't mean much to me. I'm trying to stay away from leather these days - Coach was my bag of choice in the past and of course I still have them. To each his own - just my two cents. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

This Dooney was totally worth it. Dooney & Bourke Floral Coated Fabric N/S Collins Hobo Bag - A216244

A216244 Light weight and fun with colored zippers. That's the only one I have purchased outside of the Kiplings on sale at Macy's.

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2014 SnuggleBunny said:
On 3/3/2014 terrier3 said:

I think they are nice to look at and I can afford it - I'm just not sure if I want to pay a minimal price for materials and the balance for the name. I think in a lot of cases it's the name they are selling which really doesn't mean much to me. I'm trying to stay away from leather these days - Coach was my bag of choice in the past and of course I still have them. To each his own - just my two cents. Smile

If it were just your "two cents," I would not have thought that you'd suggest in your heading that women who DO buy these are not very smart.

Just another stir of the pot from a pot-stirrer hoping to reignite a classic debate in this forum.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Redonkulous!

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think so. Prada, after all, sells their cheapest nylon bag for something over $1100. That was just written up in today's WSJ.

And there are literally hundreds of bags made from vinyl, nylon, cloth, etc. that are priced well above that $150. Someone is buying and I know I'm the only one - haven't gotten to that Prada though.

Trusted Contributor

My grandfather bought me a LV bag and wallet in this same material when I graduated from HS and then for my graduation from college he bought me the luggage. I'm going to be 44 this year and my pieces are half that age and still look good and are in excellent shape. I don't own any D&B but I know my friend has a coated cotton bag with the dogs on it, she loves it and it looks good. I believe its about 8 years ago they sold that bag? I think you do get good quality and no one is less "smart" for buying something that is excellent quality, looks good and lasts with time.