Contributor
Hi Ladies My SIL & I are in a great debate. I'm hoping you can help us out. My SIL found an "as is" florentine bag that she has wanted for a long long time but the regular price was just too high. She was ready to jump on it, but the color of the bag was chestnut. She does not feel that this color would work as an everyday bag because she wears so much black & grey and very rarely browns or tans. I feel chestnut is a neutral & would be fine. We'd appreciate your thoughts.
Respected Contributor

Honestly, I think it is the perfect, classic neutral and I wear mine with black, navy, grey, brown, everything. It is so rich and beautiful, I love mine.

Respected Contributor

It's a personal choice. The chestnut is a brown with lots of red in it. Personally, I don't wear browns/tans with black and grey. But a lot of people consider brown a neutral and wear it with everything. My guess, since your SIL favors black and grey over brown, this is not the bag for her. Check out ILoveDooney to see if they have the color and price that works for your SIL. Or you can call the Dooney outlet in Reading PA or Las Vegas, they ship, and ask the price there. Sometimes you hit a great price at the outlet.

Honored Contributor

I'm not really too compulsive when it comes to bag colors matching outfits to a precise degree, but prefer when they do. The chestnut is a beautiful color and it is a neutral and I think it would work, but I personally prefer not mixing black and brown. I think she'd be happier with the bag in black, but that's me and I also don't personally like to mix silver and gold jewelry... Go figure!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If she doesn't love it from the get-go, she's never going to be happy with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the chestnut; a very rich color. However, even though many consider it a neutral, your SIL would probably be a bit wary. The natural looks good with black and gray, but, in more of a sporty way. I agree with the others, check the outlets. They are very helpful and are probably thinning out their winter bags. She just might get a new bag for a great price.

Contributor

Thank you everyone!

After reading your responses, I do think that if she is hesitant about the color, she may never enjoy the bag.

Lavender- I will give your suggestions to my SIL. I think they may provide another opportunity to find her dream bag.

Have a great night all.

Esteemed Contributor

The chestnut is my favorite color. It looks kind of worn & retro. I would carry it with everything. I never match my shoes & bags.

Super Contributor

ITA, it will compliment Black, grey or brown, taupe, blue, navy or spruce green; plus, any of the reds or purples. It's universal and such a flattering color for any hair or complexion. I have the Florentine tassel satchel in Chestnut. I would wear the Natural with all the lighter variations of the colors above. Other must have colors of Dooney are taupe and T-moro (a deep almost black brown), the taupe being a truffle brown color, but I would definitely start with Chestnut, you can't go wrong, it will earn you many compliments. Picture the color of a fine English riding saddle.

Super Contributor

i guess its the best one