Contributor

when making crisco frosting is there a ratio you go by for confectioners sugar to crisco there is so many different recipes out there how do you know which one to use some uses more shorting to the amount of sugar than others thanks very much

Esteemed Contributor

Re: when making crisco frosting

Vintage Crisco Frosting Recipe

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know of a ratio, but the Wilton Buttercream recipe is the one I use-I think it has 4 cups of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup of butter.  I've never made any other recipe for shortening frosting than that one.  It decorates easy and I have never had anyone say it tastes like shortening or has a funny taste.  In fact, I have had people tell me to my face they hate cake, but always seem to love cake with that frosting on it.  It is not overly sweet.

Contributor

thanks

Honored Contributor

I make my mother's recipe:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup shortening

4 cups powdered sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup heavy cream (add more if too thick for your purpose)

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer until fluffy.  Beat in powdered sugar until creamy.  Beat in salt, vanilla, and cream until fluffy.

Contributor

thanks

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter 

This is pretty much the same as Wilton's recipe although theirs calls for "clear" vanilla which is imitation vanilla.  I still use real vanilla as it doesn't "yellow" the frosting enough to matter to me but then, I don't decorate wedding cakes either.  Your mother has great taste!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady  I didn't know that about clear vanilla, I have never used it.  I've eaten more than 'my fair share' of this frosting on my mother's cakes in my lifetime.  It is a classic.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

I suspect most people over the age of 30 have eaten this frosting and didn't realize it.  It is a classic.  Clear vanilla is found in most stores and if you have a Walmart or Michaels, it will be where the Wilton supplies are located.  I used to decorate cakes for my kids, and grandchildren a lot and used that recipe.   For me, it is a keeper but I know those who would never "touch" shortening.  I've even been told I should open a bakery because of my cakes and that frosting.  LOL!  I would go nuts and put my head in the oven if I ever decided to do that!    That's fine, but sometimes in life, there is no substitute to get the same result.  Everything in moderation.  I don't know anyone who just sits down and eats a bowl of frosting so the little someone gets in a slice of cake isn't a lot.   Just thinking about it, I probably don't use Crisco in anything any longer but that frosting!